RB-5 Upgrade

Snowhunter

Hi,

I have a Klipsch 5.1 set-up consisting of RB-5s, a RC-3 and RS-3s currently running off an old Sony DB-940. I am going to be upgrading my TV, Projector and Receiver soon. I've got the video end of things figured out and I'm going to replace the receiver with an Anthem 510 or 710. While I'm at it I'm thinking of a small speaker upgrade. I've loved my system since day one with zero complaints but I'm wondering if I'd love it even more with a step up. I've been looking at some used RF-5s but I don't want them to overpower the center or surrounds (I'd be open to a center upgrade but I really don't want to touch the surrounds for now). I can not upgrade to a 7.1 set-up (even though I'd love to) due to room constraints.

I'm looking for any suggestions for new or used Klipsch Reference speakers.

Thanks!!!

I read a lot of praise about rf-5 but I think rc-7 is matching center. My vote would be a used set of rf-63 and rc-64. Only cause i own and have first hand experience. New you could get a set of rf-62ii and rc-62ii for around a grand. Easy to find new stuff.

RF-5's and RC-3 were a combo i had for a time and I thought they melded together fine. The RC-7 is a better fit but the RF-5 and RC-3 will timber match just fine. Don't worry about levels being different because you should be able to boost or reduce the levels of your center or left/right so that they all gain volume at a similar if not same rate.

Personally, i never thought the rc-3 was a slouch and found it to be clean and crisp and kept up fine. I had my RC-3 crossed at 80 hz and found that it worked just fine. The RC-7 has a bigger image which is why it fits the RF-5's better but like I said, the RC-3 will do you well. If you come across an RC-7 in the future, get it! an rc-3 will sell used for about $100-$150.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice! I really appreciate it.

As I said I've never been unhappy with my setup, it was the result of budget and space restrictions but it's been great. I'm just looking to see if I can give the old system a little boost. I'd love to go -7s across the board but the money (and space still isn't there). Just replacing the RB-5s with towers would be ideal. And I will have a home for the RB-5s right away! A tower update now, followed by a center channel down the road would be ideal.

I am looking into each and all of your suggestions and as I said I appreciate them all!!!

IMO I would upgrade the center to another RB-5 or to an RC-7. The center is your weak spot IMO. I actually prefer my RB-5's over my RB-81's. I find the RB-5 very smooth and would be very content running three of them as an LCR setup as long as you have subs.