Horn loaded vs Tapped horn

mustang guy

I've read that thread before. It's a shame someone like Tom D couldn't comment as well.

He mentions Danley in this thread, and in a positive way.

An interesting experiment he gave to people who want to see the distortion in action is here:

Bill Fitzmaurice: "Play a 60hz sinewave through the sub, low passed at the subwoofer passband, nominally 100Hz. Content above 100Hz is harmonics. The louder you play the higher the harmonic content will be. Keep in mind the slope of the LP filter. One advantage to a folded horn is that it is itself a low pass filter, its slope cascading with the slope of the electronic filter."

That harmonic is distortion would infect an original recording. I don't own a tapped horn sub, so I can't try it for myself.

So how do you hear the harmonics over the 60 Hz tone that's being played?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you can see it on an RTA, then wouldn't you be able to hear it too? What I don't know is how loud those harmonics are as compared to the tone being generated. I suppose that is an important fact. Just how much perceivable distortion is there in a tapped horn?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you can see it on an RTA, then wouldn't you be able to hear it too? What I don't know is how loud those harmonics are as compared to the tone being generated. I suppose that is an important fact. Just how much perceivable distortion is there in a tapped horn?

I didn't realize he was referring to watching it with an RTA. I thought it was a listening experiment. Reading back what you wrote, you said "see" not "hear". I missed that.

I didn't realize he was referring to watching it with an RTA. I thought it was a listening experiment. Reading back what you wrote, you said "see" not "hear". I missed that.

Sorry, I also paraphrased his comment... Here is the full volley...

Dan_Hoppin wrote:
I have a 4 cubic foot Eminence 3015LF loaded cabinet that is ported for about 45hz. It is really my bass cabinet, but I have hooked it up as a PA subwoofer and I don't hear any distortion.
Bill Fitzmaurice replied:
How do you know? Have you done an RTA ? Distortion doesn't mean it sounds like a fuzzbox, it means there are harmonics not present in the original signal. That is what a fuzzbox does as well, just to a higher, and more obvious, degree.
Dan_Hoppin wrote:
Bill, you mentioned seeing it with an RTA. How would you do that? Play a sine wave and and look for content at each upper octave? I have some hearing lossf, so if I can see it it would be easier to understand.
Bill Fitzmaurice replied:
Play a 60hz sinewave through the sub, low passed at the subwoofer passband, nominally 100Hz. Content above 100Hz is harmonics. The louder you play the higher the harmonic content will be. Keep in mind the slope of the LP filter. One advantage to a folded horn is that it is itself a low pass filter, its slope cascading with the slope of the electronic filter.