Symphony question... LARRY? (where are you?!)

Coytee

Driving to work this morning & NPR was playing something that sounded nice.

I came home & looked up the time line of their playlist and presume it was the following.

I did a search on Amazon and found (what I believe to be) several versions of the same thing.

This is when the "omg, which one might sound better than the next one" set in...

So, I thought I'd ask if there were any opinions on "the" copy to get?

(anyone else is allowed to opine as well. I've enjoyed some of his picks in the past so value his thoughts)

• Symphony No.4 in A Major, Op.90 ("Italian")
  • San Francisco Symphony; Herbert Blomstedt
  • Felix Mendelssohn
  • Herbert Blomstedt
  • Mendelssohn: Symphonies 3 & 4
  • London
  • 433 811

Well, it would be hard to find a more popular symphony or one with more recordings! If you look at the list that comes up when you search Amazon.com for Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4 ("Italian"), you come up with scores of pages of at 12 recordings each page: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=mendelssohn+symphony+no.+4

Sometimes it's best to go with the recording you liked when you heard it -- Blomstedt is a very good conductor, and the SFO is very good.

I've listened to very few recordings of it recently, and can only recommend based on what I think of orchestras and conductors. Looking over the list from the link, I would also suggest the Living Stereo, because Munch and the Boston SO are very good and lively, and the pairing with his Reformation Symphony is very good, too.

The Blomstedt/Boston recording on Penguin records (sixth on the list) is probably the same one, but is paired with the Schubert No. 8, the "Unfinioshed," which is another very great symphony. Take your pick, but since you like what you hear in Mendelssohn, I suggest you go with the Living Stereo's Nos. 4 and 5. You'll like the Fifth, too.

I was disappointed to not see a DVD of the Italian, since I like to see as well as hear them played.

A good source of listening to good recordings is YouTube. Search Youtube.com for the No. 4, and you get a chance to select any number of samples. Sometimes you can pick the one you like from those. But be sure to pick a YT clip where you can actually see the orchestra playing.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

Edited by LarryC

Here is an excellent YT visual performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HX_jF1_Tgc. Notice the players' vigor and absolute precision, and the masterful, clever, and highly varied use of the winds that someone not used to classical may ignore -- the constant interplay between the flute, oboes, bassoons and clarinets. Mendelssohn wrote very nicely for clarinets.

Also notice how he makes the most of the limited number of notes that trumpets (and horns) could play back in the day when he wrote it.

The filming is EXCELLENT for showing the players in action.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Edited by LarryC

Finally, a propos of the discussion with Jeff Matthews a few weeks ago, the Mendelssohn is a fine example where there is a strong sense of moving towards a goal -- it doesn't dally around with diversions or meaningless intrusions of the odd instrument. Every note is strongly pushed forward toward the goal of getting where it's going. Compare with a lot of non-classical ....