Paradigm Titans and Promedia's rule!

sheet.. for that price.. might as well save up for ya HTS. You must have the old v.2-400 and therefore the old crossover.. the new 4.1s sound great to me

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

I tried hooking my homemade speakers up to the sub. They have 1" NHT tweaters and 5 1/4" B.I.C. woofers. This setup definitally has a bigger sound, but it just doesn't sound right. The sub doesn't match my speakers. I'm not sure what's going on here, I'm going to have to do some more testing.

I was worried about the crossover situation for months but it wasn't actually an issue for these speakers. And in response to building and HTS system. Yes i have an ADS-2000 dolby decoder and a cheap powered center channel. It is worth it. I recommend asking your local shop to see if you can audition them at home for a night or bring in your sub/amp to try it. They seem to be a perfect match. It's not just loudness that has been affected the soundstage is much more accurate. The highs are have a perfect tone not that high pitched squeel of the pro's. The mids are tight and not restrained. The pro's color the sound. You get what you pay for and this was probably the best upgrade i've done to my equipment. + I didn't have to buy a receiver, sub or rear sats to have a 4.1 system. I love being able to use the rest of the system to build a better one. Many people aren't willing to spend the money to get great sound but here you've already got a good base system for it.

OK I've been comparing the pro's to my homemade speakers for a while now. I'm starting to think that I made a bad purchase here. The pro's sound good, but they do color the music really weirdly. The sub sounds fine with my homemade speakers, I just have to turn the volume down on it.

My homemade speaks definitely provide a much less strained and a more accurate sound. I should have know that little speaks will never compare to at least a mid sized speaker. The thing is though, I don't want some big speakers sitting by my computer. That's why I got the pro's.

Actually i'm just using one sat from a labtec 2514 system. It works alright since it gets zero bass. I only use it for movies since music is meant to be played in stereo anyways and the tonal differences would be noticed more. I'm going to live my friend next year so i can hold off to get a decent center channel. I would like a matching paradigm center. The reviews i've seen of those have been great too. In response to Billie Jean (1st cd of History kicks ***!!) Don't get me wrong. I love the pro's. Great price for what you get. I didn't have any normal hi-fi speakers before. Just some cheap computer speakers i used for everything. The pro's are great for movies and games but i listen to music more then both of them combined. Pro's are a great starter system. I've been able to modify them and save money in the process. You can't expect a smaller speaker to be able to fill in all the range's equally. That's what the paradigms have done. I hope people try a setup similar to this. I'm not saying shitty sony, technic or bose speakers are going to sound any better but if you get something like NHT, Paradigm, PSB's you get bookshelf speakers that are still relatively small but sound much better. You have to realize the speakers i'm powering now cost me %80 of the cost of the pro system. Oh, also look at the paradigm atoms, or NHT superone's. They both are a little cheaper and sound great.

Hell yeah the first disc of HIStory is awesome!!!! That's what I was listening to when I signed up for this forum!! I listen to the cd everyday!

And NHT speakers kick azz!!!! I just have NHT tweeters on my homemade speakers and they really do things for the overall sound! I'd love to have a whole set of NHT speaks. I think I'd freak out if I had a whole set of those!!

For $250 I got the best amp/speakers/sound I could get. I sold my Altec Lansing ADA106 to get these.

If I wanted to spend $500 or $600 I go to egghead.com and get a Yamaha 500watt reciever with all the decoders, KLH speakers and a 10"sub.

I wanted these.

The only problem with that solution is you'd have to buy something better then KLH to reach the sound of even the klipsch. + You'd need to buy a powered sub. My way anyone who's already had the pro's for a long time have an easy way of upgrading. I think I've had them for 1 1/2 years or longer. I just wanted to inform people how to do a quality upgrade for relatively cheap. Borrow any decent speaker from a friend and try it with the pro's amp. I think you'll be surprised. Do a few listening tests between the 2 and you'll be amazed at the difference.

Admiral,

I am getting my 4.1's on Tuesday, but even without listening to the 4.1's ever, I can trust you very much when you say that if you hook up diff speakers, the system will sound better. I was wondering, since you sound like you know a lot about speakers, that if I bought the Klipsch SB-2 Monitor (Synergy series) do you think that is a good replacement for the 4.1 sats? And if it isn't, could you give me a suggestion, other than the Paradigms, for substitute speakers? I also am much more of a music person that gamer or moviegoer, so audio quality is number one, but I don't have much money. Thanks.

*zen

First off any help with suggestions for low-med priced speakers would be appreciated. I don't claim to be an expert. http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/Speaker/product_45368.shtml Here's a link to some consumer reviews of this speaker. Looks quite good for the price. I'm still not sold on the whole horn design over normal tweeter. Well i see you want some other alternatives. Axiom has M3Ti speaker. $275 for a pair. NHT Superone is another recommendation but i heard that takes lots of juice to hit any high volumes. HTD sells directly online to save the money for the consumer. I have yet to hear HTD level 3 speakers either but many people have liked them from what i've read. They do have a free return policy to try them out. JBL has the n24's but the drivers are only 4-inchs which isn't much of an improvement over the klipsch's. Most of my research has been through many review sites like; www.audioreview.com and http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Speakers/Speakers_Reviews/Bookshelf/

The auditioning was done at a local hi-fi shop. I heard comparably priced Boston Acoustics, NHT Superones, Paradigm Titans, and Paradigm Atoms. I know you wanted other alternatives and I gave them to you. But for the price i can't think of anything else. Paradigm atoms are cheaper at about $170 then the titans and i've seen the Superones for that price also. But it's really up to you to see what combination works for you. I wouldn't be embarassed to bring in your sub and 2 pro's to test it out. Most high-end audio stores just want your business and will be happy to accomodate you. Just remember one thing. Bose aren't hi-fi :P Hope this is helpful

Bose isn't hifi, it junk =Þ Seriously, you could probably build one of the satellites yourself for $10. http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/boseframes.html

Koresh gave some good suggestions for speakers. Be aware though, its not cheap. You'll need a decent amp and sub to go with the speakers, which will up the cost a lot. I wouldn't really recommend using the promedia amp, but if you don't have the money, its worth a shot. Just be caseful if you do... Also, check out the Norh 3.0s at www.norh.com . They are $150 a pair and sound great for the price. Problem is you can't audition them frown.gif

Just so there is no confusion i am running the titans off the promedia sub/amp. I've tried 3 different sets of speakers on the amp. Yamaha, no-name and now the Titans. This is why i wanted to share all this information in the first place. Easy upgrade. I also failed to mention how well the speakers have blended together. The crossover i originally thought would be to high and the speakers would sound tinny. Not true. I have plenty of mid-bass to compliment the pro's sub. I probably am running the pro's amp harder since i can turn the music up alot louder. But i fail to see how i can damage it?? since it's not going to output anymore wattage then it did with the pro's sats. Anyone have an answer to this? I have been debating whether to try to run them off both the front and rear channels and balance the sound output to them. This should double my wattage to them i believe. They do clip at the highest volume, set to 6 oclock so hopefully that will help. (I'm working on making myself deaf :P ) I'm a music fiend and my dvd drive isn't even setup since my puter died and i'm running off a weak p-60 waiting for my mb and cpu to come. So no 4-channel output frown.gif