no bias reading one side of st-70

tblake10

According to the schematic found online, the two channels are fed from the same bias power supply through separate 10K bias adjustment pots. The one giving trouble may have a bad connection, is dirty, or it has failed. With the power unplugged from the wall, after 10 minutes or so open the amplifier up. If the wiring connected to the pot is solidly connected, spray the affected pot with something like Caig's Fader Lube (follow directions on the can) and work the pot back and forth several times. Blow the excess out of the pot, let it sit for 1/2 hour, then plug the amp in and turn it on. If the bias still won't set properly the pot is probably bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally worked up the nerve to open it up and just looked closely and felt to see if the connections around the bias adjustments were good. Everything looked good. Hooked it back up and now the I am getting a bias reading on both sides. Guess I got lucky and jiggled something right? Thanks Don Richard and Mustang Guy for the responses!

One night I got lucky and jiggled something right, now I'm married :) But seriously I'd say you dis lodged some dirt in the pot or rattled a cold solder joint. Are you sure all the solder joints look good? I would clean the pots and re solder the connections.

Just my $.02