Rsw-18

kenratboy

Could be nice? Maybe kick up the power and make the woofer with a bigger voice coil/motor structure. Hell, hot about a HGS-18 killer?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

As good as the HGS18 is(and its goood)the performance(output here)it gives is nothing amazing.At 20Hz its weak as most larger subs(to me under 110dB is weak).All this when you take into consideration you have a huge heavy duty driver powered by a very potent amp(yes box is a bit small,too much EQ at work here).

The only comercial subs with true power below 25Hz i've used are the SVS Ultras,Aerial SW12.

...RSW18,I dont think it would outperform the HGS18 down low,it would have more slam yes.But more under 30Hz output,not if you follow the RSW line performance.

Now if Sunfire made a dual 15" bruiser a la Signature I have no doubt it would smash the HGS18 and Revel B15.Again I wish Bob Carver would design such a monster.Krell has,and its way too expensive.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I owned the RSW15 along side my Khorns, La Scala's, and Hersey II's, and it seemed to lack, and had a more direct punch at you. I heard the Velodyne HGS18 a year back and was floored. I had the chance to pick that exact sub up on a trade in(?) and still kick myself in the a** for not buying it, 1800 CDN.

I recently sold my RSW15 and bought a "used" Velodyne FSR18(1998), I couldn't be happier with the match and my Heritage line, IMO. Now if we had a proper centre channel(and not an upside down Hersey)to match the future Heritage subwoofer Smile.gif

To add, it should be the HSW-18.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 07-15-2002 at 12:34 AM

" Before the RSW line was released I seem to recall Klipsch (BobG) posting that it would

take a Velodyne 18 with a 64000 watt amp to out perform the RSW 15 at 20 hz."

hey good to see you again rw. but i think rw says this w/ tongue firmly in cheek. a lil sales puffing perhaps? Smile.gif the hgs-18 beats the rsw-15 in spl at any freq level, & especially at 20hz. but that's not saying the rsw is bad at all. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

EAR, a 12" or 15" Sunfire? It would be illegal...Smile.gif

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Let's start a letter writing campaign to the Sunfire guy (it's Bob Carver, right?)

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by boomer9911:

and find a centre channel match and we could call it the "Heritage Home Theatre Line".....perfect for your Khorns, Belles, La Scala's, even Hersey, wishful thinking mind you.....

If I may add my 2 cents worth - I would LOVE to see a Heritage-style sub from klipsch, even if it is just an RSW-15 clad in heritage-matching veneers, with the old, lower case "klipsch" logo. But what would really be cool, would be a new design, specifically made to integrate with Heritage speakers. I offer this quick audio fantasy:

One Big Mutha! Cabinet the size of a small refrigerator. Designed to allow vertical or horizontal orientation, to fit more rooms. How about dual 18" drivers, with a 4th order low pass filter to get outta the way of the horns. Selectable crossover points to specifically mate well with klipschorns (40hz), Belles and La Scalas (50hz), and Heresy's (60hz). About 1KW of class D power, and sell it to me for under 2 thou.

...build it and we will come...

------------------

JDM

Good idea Ken,I will write a letter to Bob Carver.I want my 15 or 18" Sunfire.Just imagine the output,and it should reach below 16Hz with true power.

Ah a 150-200lbs 20" cube with a 18" active,14" piston/4" voice coil/true 3" linear/1300W RMS,4KW peak/ switching amp and a nice fat 80lbs magnet.Why not..oups and a matching heavy price. Smile.gif If its under $10000 I would scrape my savings a bit to get one.

Watch out Krell

LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I work in the computer business,mostly BIG PC's(no not cheapo personal PC mumbo jumbo).And I put all the hours/week needed to buy what I want(almost).

There is no secret,work work and work.Be good at what you do,climb the ladder.Bingo money to buy the good stuff and leave the cheap stuff heap.

And I am not Bob "Sunfire".Just a big fan of his designs.I owned many Carver amps,and own a good deal of Sunfire subs(all of them,the new models will also grace my place as soon as the dealer gets them Smile.gif ).

TheEAR(s) Now theears