Mono Rig - Big Band

JohnA

I know, I know.....

My mother-in-law loves Big Band. She seems to specially like it on my Klipsch. I would love to pick up a Shorthorn and a NAD L40 and somehow rig it to play in mono in her house. Big Band was so ofetn played in mono and the Shorthorn has the look of the era. Sadly, she has no available corners, so It'll have to be an early Heresy (H-700). She is widowed and hasn't the room, nor patience to put up with big speakers and complexity. Loud is not in the equation.

The trick is to get an electronics package that is stone simple and can handle mono operation. Tube powered would be cool and fits the period. What is out there that I can use to build this system? I could still pick-up the L40 and an H-700, if it is switchable to mono.

What say ye?

John

For a mono tube integrated I would look at a HH Scott 99D there 6L6 based so tubes are easy to come by sound real nice and have a great phono section for mono. Great all in one package. They can be scored pretty often on ebay. They also work well as a stereo pair with my Heresy's.

Good Luck Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

How well do the Advent recievers hold up over the years? I find a handful on ebay. They would fit the bill. Can I safely strap the power amp section for more power? It has pre our power inputs on the back.

John

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2119367642

I had one of these about 20 years ago. I used it at work with a single Bozak and it sounded GREAT.

It has both phono and line-level mono inputs. I dunno what shape this one is in, but if you can score it for fifty bucks, what do you have to lose?