K-33 Woofer

jnorv

It appears that I have a bad woofer in one of my 25 year old La Scala's. Picked up a "noise" on low bass notes, most noticeable on standup bases. Sort of a buzzing but at a frequency of several hundred Hz, but excited by a 60 Hz bass note. Replaced it with a JBL 2205A that I had and the problem went away. The question is, do I buy Klipsch replacements or go to Layne (http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/repair.htm) for their upgrade K-33s for 50% more money? And, also, for the upgraded mid range drivers at the same time?

Jim Norvell

This message has been edited by jnorv on 07-12-2002 at 08:41 PM

LaScalas are crossed-over for the K-33 woofers...I would stick with them.

BTW...before you changed out that K-33...did you try tightening the machine bolts it was mounted with some?...or was the buzzing actually IN the woofer itself?

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-13-2002 at 06:34 AM

I am still in the diagnostic mode. The mounting screws seemed to be tight. I have replaced them with Allen head caps (easier to use in the constrained space). I am going to put the original back in and check it with a stethoscope to further locate the sound. It only occurs during transient, standup base note in the 60 Hz range. Makes it hard to provoke. Unfortunately for me that is one of my favorite instruments in the right hands, Mingus comes to mind.

From reading the Layne literature and some posts here, it would seem that there is a pro-33 woofer that has been used in some LSs. The JBL 2205 T/S parameters are a reasonable match to the k-33 and sounds it. I may wait until after the Chi-Town horn get together before making any decision.

Jim N

Generally speaking...the "Industrial" model woofer driver for the LaScalas is NOT the best choice for the home useage...it can handle more power, but it suffers in bottom-end extension when compared to the standard K-33.

Keep in mind, this is GENERALLY SPEAKING, since you MAY end up with those woofers that actually outperform the expected standard specs for "Industrial" models...like I got put into my Heresys in 1978...but DON'T COUNT ON IT!! (Mine were specially selected for their better "as tested" performance by Mr. Bradford...who went through THREE pallets of them before finding a match in industrial Heresy woofers that met the standard woofer bottom end specs!!!)...I doubt that anybody at the company will do that for you!! Everytime I listen to my Heresys, I am reminded of how nice it was of Mr. Bradford to do that for me!! He even took my crossover networks home with him and tweaked them for me!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-13-2002 at 12:23 PM

jnorv

I had the same EXACT thing happen to one of my khorns about 6 years ago. I too thought something was loose since the buzz was so loud. Sounded kind of like a semi truck engine braking.

Try driving the K-33 woofer in the open air. When I did, it failed more often than when the speaker was driving in compression in the bass bin.

I replaced mine with a new K-33 from Klipsch.

JM

With the woofer out and setting on my desk, I ran it through the freq range of about 40 to 100 Hz. at about 60 Hz, I started to get the same noise. Turns out it was exciting a vibration mode in the desk. I bolted it back in using Allen cap screws and the problem seems to have gone away. I also think I am getting better base response from that side now. I have dinged voice coils in the past, and the effect is bad across the full frequency spectrum. This was only over a small freq band.

J Norvell

The woofers from Layne audio look interesting. However, the specs are different then a stock K-33. Therefore, I would replace both drivers or replace the one with a stock Klipsch replacement. I believe they run around 100.00. Before you dump the driver I would pull the driver out and install it in the other speaker you have and see if the problems still continues.