amp/speaker matching

tpg

Ok, so I have four KG-2.5's on the way. I always liked the KG series, since I started looking at them. Probably my favorite out of the classics, except for those like Chorus/Forte and many others I can't afford. So, let's say they are my favorite Classic series that I can afford. Wink.gif

So, using the KG-2.5's i have, I could make a pretty good HT, I believe. I could juts buy a center right now and be set, but I don't want to do that exactly. My idea now is to make a 6.1 HT using one KG-2.5 for front center, one for rear center (first pair) and then use the other pair for my rear surrounds. Then I need to get the reciever and some decent mains that match.

So, that leads to my first question. Which of the KG series would match the KG-2.5's well in this type of setup? KG-4's perhaps? My favorite of the favorires. Smile.gif Would a setup like that work well and sound good?

Ok, so on to part two. I found a reciever that looks fairly good. It is the Pioneer VSXD811S. It has 6.1 output, DTS-ES and DD-EX, though not THX Surround EX, although that is basically the same as DD-EX. lol It is listed on Crutchfield and Circuit City if you need more info about it. It supplies 100 watts per channel. Would this be too much for the 75 watt RMS KG-2.5's? Will this reciever be good for the money?

Thank you

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

Hi T.G.

Not sure how that combo of Kg would sound. Probably really good! I just got a pair of Kg3.5s and they sound great.

The PioneerVSX-D811S looks like it's got everything you need. Plenty of outputs and inputs, 6 channel processing and a THD of 0.2%

(in 2 channel) thats not bad. It would seem to be a good buy for the money.

IMO if you really want a decent, solid reciever with plenty of goodies then flip back a page and take peek at the AVR-1602 Denon.

It doesn't offer 6 channel like you want but it is a good match w/klipsch and is the same price as the Pioneer. Plus, it will have a better resale value than pioneer. That is realy nice when it comes time to upgrade. And that is a never ending process in HT. IMHO.

Good luck with your choice!

Don't know anything about the Pioneer receiver, but is the crossover fixed,adjustable,defeatable? The Technics SA-DA15K at $199 from www.jandr.com offers 5.1 and good sound for a budget system. Crossover a tad high if you set speakers small. Check it out.

A good match for your KG2.5's would be more KG2.5's. Or maybe KG5.5's. I would decide which speakers I was going to use for fronts before buying the center speaker. All 2.5's cut at 80hz with a GOOD sub should sound nice. Good luck.

Keith

Well, Keith, I was planning on not purchasing a center and just using two of the KG-2.5's for the front and rear centers. Then the other two KG-2.5's for the rear surrounds. And that leaves me with a need of two floorstanding mains that would match well.

The 6.1 setup is not a definite... I just thought since I had 6 speakers and a sub, why not. This way all speakers would be getting use. I could use my ProMedia sub for the time, then I might spring for a genuine hot water heater type sub. lol

Has anyone tried a KG-2.5 as a center? Anyone know what would be a good match for the KG-2.5's fronts-wise?

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>