Heresy II crossover upgrade

jmareci

I finally finished my Heresy II crossover journey. First, I changed out the capacitors for Auricap's and Solen. Then I upgraded the inductors (with plenty of help from Al Klappenberger. Thanks Al!). Now, finally I get to sit back and listen. All I can say is WOW! they don't sound anything like the original ones did. The space between instruments is amazing, the soundstage has deepened and widened. The highs are crisp and clearer. Voices sound as if you are standing in the throat of the person singing. I am hearing new things from music that I have listend to for 30 years! I am very happy with the results.

I used 3 -1.5uF Auricap and 1 - 68uF Solen capacitors and 1 - 2.4 mH and 1 - .15mH Solen inductors. It takes a while to get the parts from Solen.

The hardest part was to get all the new parts to fit. All of the new parts are MUCH larger than the original ones. You have to get pretty creative. I think the better solution would be to build the new crossover on a board and attach that to the bottom of the speaker cabinet. If I can ever go without my speakers for a few days that is what I will do.

I have been sitting in front of my stereo all morning. It sounds fantastic! My wife keeps saying "aren't you going to go to work today?" It's a good thing I work for myself! I just can't tear myself away!

The crossover in a 1979 Heresy is a different beast than the crossover in a Heresy II. Unless you are going to redesign it, you will want to use the same value components as are currently in it. What you want to do is use better quality components. You can find all the information you need on Heresy mods in the archives. You just need to be able to solder. There is plenty of space on the network board in a Heresy for the parts.