combo of a LaScala Bass Bin and an Altec horn 2-way DIY?

12ax7

I have just such an experiment in the works. I have a pair of 511Bs and am looking for a pair of 802 or 806 drivers for not too much cash. I really need to get the La Scala bass horn tested to see how high it goes. There's a guy at work that has the gear, I just haven't gotten over there to do it. Based on what I can find out, the 802 on a 511B will be 108 dB @ 1 Watt, a Type AA network, slightly modified should work great. I think the 80X/511B combo will be weak above 10,000 Hz and a tweeter may still be required (the response starts down at 10k and is 15 or 20 dB down at 20k, the chart's at work).

John

John,

Q-Man and I did a little test with my La Scala's, hooking up just the woofer to the speakrer inputs. We used the Stereophile Test CD (number two I think) and a Rat Shack SPL meter. In our test, the 500hz tone was something like 4-6 db down from the 400hz tone. We never wrote them down but I think that's ballpark...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

12ax7---Yes it's possible, I've done it. Years ago my buddy and I built a pair of LS bassbins and mated them with 802s on 511Bs. Painted the bassbins black, they looked tough with the 511s. A friend, a retired audio engineer, knows a couple of guys who've reliably measured LS basshorns and found they respond well up into the 700-800hz area. So I wouldn't worry at all about crossing at 500hz.

Mike,

We should have written some of the testing down. I'm sure that it was the University that started dropping at 500Hz. I remember saying that I couldn't use my Altec horns and driver with that cabinet. The LaScala was good at 500Hz. and maybe even 600Hz. I wouldn't push it over 500Hz.without testing it again. The Jensen Imperial would be a good cabinet to use with my Altec stuff. Jensen used to cross it over at 600Hz. But, the thing would be huge with my 805B horns on top of it. The cobinet is about 4" taller then the Klipschorn and the 805B is about 16" tall.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man