KLF-30s vs. Forte II's

tarche

Y'all,

I have Forte II's and a KLF-C7 up front. I am contemplating an upgrade to KLF-30s via UBID since the price is right (800-850ish). My thinking is that I'll have a better match across the fronts with three Legends and that the KLF-30s are a general upgrade over the Forte's.

However, I've been reading on audioreview.com that more than a few KLF-30 owners claim that they are a bit bass shy. My initial reaction is "how can that be?" They're huge.

Regardless, what are your opinions on the KLF-30s as an upgrade over the Forte's? Is it worth the $800? I'm very aware of Ubid's shipping charges. However, if you consider the total cost for the purchase (say $299 + $109 shipping * 2), it's still seems like a good bargain.

Thanks.

--Tom

Forte IIs are great speakers. You could save yourself about $500 and replace the KLF C7 with an Academy, assuming you can find one.I just upgraded from KG4s to Forte IIs and I couldn't be happier. My academy is on the way to replace my RC 3.

-ScottWavey.gif

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

RC-3 Center - Acadmey on the way - YIPPEE!!

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

Tom -

You should sell the Fortes to me. The KLF's would definitely be an upgrade! cwm20.gif

All kidding aside, I would take Scott's advice, and find an Academy. IMHO you would NOT be upgrading by going to the KLFs. If you are patient, and with a little luck, you can find an Academy and save yourself some real pocket change.

Colin

------------------

My System

Y'all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I'll stick with the Fortes. I haven't seen any KLF-30s in oak on UBid anyway which is a requirement for me over the black finish.

With regards to the Academy, I'm thinking the Internet bubble may have burst, but the Academy "bubble" is still going strong (i.e. it seems to be way overvalued at this point). The KLF-C7 is a good center for now. Perhaps in a few years...

--Tom

Tom,

You just have to be a litle patient and a little lucky to fin a decent deal on an Academy. I have been looking for an Academy for a very short time and found one for $299. That's only $50 more than the RC3 that I have. Others haven't been as lucky as me, but be persistent and stay away from captnfixr at ebay. His reserve is always over $400 and he is constantly buying and reselling them.

Good luck,

-ScottWavey.gif

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

RC-3 Center - Academy on the way - YIPPEE!!

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830