Forte II popping/crackling sound

My friend recently purchased a pair of forte II on craigslist. The man he purchased from said they were in a closet and unused for 10 years. The speakers look great. Almost brand new, no tears in woofers anything like that. When i push on the woofer in the front the PR in the back also moves back simultaneously, no air leak noticed.

My friend brought over the speakers when volume was put at about half way or more on the receiver a weird popping/crackling sound was heard coming from the mid range on both speakers. We thought the mid ranges or woofers could have been blown. They were powered a marantz 2252b. We then switched to a pair of marantz ma700 monoblocks, same noise, then switched to a yamaha receiver same noise. We then switched to a crest ca6 pro amp and the noise was gone. We were able to blast the speaker with the crest and the speakers sounded great. The speakers were not being pushed hard at all when they made this poppping/crackling noise. When you hold down the woofer when the speakers are making this noise the noise seems to be reduced, so i am guessing it has to do with the woofers. And the noise came from BOTH speakers. Any idea what this noise can be?

Thanks for help,

Alex

Edited by alexg5775

sounds like a "partially" blown woofer. very common when speakers have been driven hard or abused. takes a lot to completely blow a woofer & make it not work at all. when you push on it it changes the alignment of the coil & stops the noise. this cant be fixed unless you have them reconed or buy replacements.

as for why the noise stopped with the other amp i have no clue. maybe its less power & didnt drive them as hard as the other amps, either way my guess is partially blown woofers.

Edited by klipschfancf4

The crest is actually the most powerfull of all the amps at 350 watts @ 8 ohms. The woofer was moving ALOT and sounded great.

I did some research i found some info more or less along the lines of the speakers resistance being to high and the amp not being able to handle and clipping. My guess is the crest able to handle this resistance being a pro amp and all and the other amps not? Could this be what is happening and why would the speakers do this? Thank for any and all help.

Alex

ok just a guess at the amps power. but the speaker resistance is NOT too high that the other amps cant handle it. fortes are an 8ohm speaker & while the ohms may fluctuate a bit its one of the easiest speakers out there for an amp to drive. all the amps you mention should be able to run the fortes with no problems at all.

why they are doing what they are doing is anybodies guess, unless the other amps are malfunctioning or something. could also be teh partially blown/damaged woofer is being controlled better by the crest amps higher damping factor.

i will let other more knowledgeable people weigh in on the issue, but its not resistance of the speaker. if the woofer is popping something is damaged or a loose connection on the woofer or x-over etc.

I am not sure you have isolated the problem to the mid or the woofer. First isolate the problem before getting to the fix it mode. if you figure out it is the woofers and applying pressure seems to help you might want to try rotating the woofers 180 degrees to see if it is simply a physical problem.

Well my friend called the craiglist add guy and returned the speakers and got his money back. I called crites and replacement woofers were 225 shipped and we wernt sure 100% if that was the problem so it really wasnt worth it. Thanks for all the help guys,

Alex