Redo

Ive been asked a ton to buid more of the SE-84s, but was trying to talk people out of it... really more time consuming that it should of been to build... hands not small enough... so I set out to give the same great sound on a chassis which made more sense. The silver one will be off to testing with Joe. So far, same great sound with great freq extention... product of better iron. The Black unit is my Sp edition... when I get silly with parts :-). I think Im done with prototypes for the summer. Time to build my bass bins and go to the park.

gallery_36992_76_938.jpg
gallery_36992_76_39647.jpg

Awesome Justin, I am guessing the remaining Iron on the silver one is under chassis ??

This will be the version offered on the website now ??

Cant wait to hear the updated / upgraded version and compare it to my existing, as usual beautiful work. you must provide your impressions between the special edition and the standard :P

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_36992_76_79083.jpg

gallery_36992_76_85562.jpg

Full power on test bench with load matters is 3 watts rms.

Bandwidth is 20 to 20k at full power. Usable peeks of 10watts.

1 watt freq. response is 10hz to 36khz.

With inputs shorted output noise is less than 5mV Peek to peek.

The redo has come out better than expected. I’ll be taking some photos of the Black unit and then it’s being sent off to Joe for some comparisons listening to the orig.

We have been able to lower the noise floor and significantly increase bandwidth. Not sure it will translate into a better listen exp, but I think it will. The quite passages are velvet black and the HF is pretty amazing. All testing was with Solvtek EL84Ms and 1 new Mallard 12AX7s.

Guest David H

I like top mounted Transcendar Iron.

This is such a wonderful amp. It was nearly indistinguishable from my 300B.

Dave

After some bad luck with edcor I wanted to source iron elsewhere... transcendar and Hammond.

The 10watt top mounted iron freq ext is a bit lower... :-( at 33Khz but lower distortion on the scope.

The under mount iron goes higher at 36Khz and is super clean too... but comparing wave forms has some distortion at the freq extremes... why I’m measuring beyond 20-20khz is beyond me... Well I did want to know if the iron or the circuit would be the limitation... pretty sure it’s the circuit...Now I just need to add a heil tweeter to hear it.

Im so looking forward to going to the Newport show... the wife gave permission for 2 days of audio show fun... Do wish the Yields and 1 of my amps had made an appearance too.