First time in Maui - any advice for restaurants?

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Today my wife and I, along with our son and daughter, are flying to Maui for a week. It's my first time. My wife was there before we were married and my kids have never been. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and we are renewing our vows on the beach. Since the occasion is special we are looking for some nice places to eat and so I thought surely there would be a few on the forums that could provide excellent assistance.

Also, if you would like to volunteer any other tidbits about what to do or see while we are on Maui, It would be much appreciated.

Steve

Did that a few years ago with some friends who also did 25 years vow renewal. We have been to Maui with them several times.

I highly recommend Roy's. I understand they moved and are now right at the turnoff to Kahanapali. Great service and food. The food at Mama's is also good. We usually stop there before the flight home. Fact is, most of the established high end restaurants are very good. I've enjoyed Canoe's at happy hour. I've been to most of the restaurants downtown can't say I remember being disappointed, but the food does vary and generally you get what you pay for. Hard to not find a good meal. It sounds cheesy (no pun intended), but breakfast and or lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise is a regular stop for us. I would avoid the moonlight cruises like the plague. Food is very marginal and after dinner all you do is putt putt up and down the coast. Horrible in my opinion.

For something different I have really enjoyed the magic show at Warren and Annabelles's. Heavy appetizer's are served with a couple of drinks. It's mostly slight of hand, but slight of hand with bowling ball is impressive. Magicians vary and it isn't always the owner Warren, but we've seen several and they're all fun. The luau at downtown Lahaina is good but there are others. Stay away from the hotel luaus. Ulalena is a good show with impressive music if you like the Circe Soliel type shows. The trip around the island to see the rain forest is beautiful, but be prepared for a full day. I've driven up the volcano. Nice views, but that'll take most of a day too. There are bike rides down the volcano in the morning. That never appealed to me.

If you like snorkeling, I enjoyed Wave Riders as it wasn't quite as touristy as the larger Trilogy boats but they're okay as well. If you want to do a hike, there's a beautiful park and garden on the side of the island where the airport is. Very nice. I've drove around the west side of the island. Very Non-tourest type area with narrow roads and large dropoffs. There are a few very modest food stands that give you a real feeling for basic island culture.

That's my $.02 on Maui. We're pretty much foodies when we're there with snorkeling. The people we go with do golf, but they won't pay the green fees that are charged. YMMV.

Congratulations on the 25 years.

One other tip from a Maui regular. We alway stop at Costco that's just outside the airport. We pick up wine, cheese and other goodies that are a lot more expensive in the tourist area. If you're staying in a condo with a fridge, I recmmend it.

Edited by billybobg