KSF series

jyarb

Six months ago I bought a pair of KSF-8.5 and have never looked back. I have now bought the mathing KSF-SS5 surrounds from E-Bay and should be receiving them in a few days (I am very excited). Now my question is should I also buy the matching KSF-C5 center or try to find a KSF-8.5 or KSF-10.5 to convert to a center. I have bid on the KSF-C5 (different seller then the rear speakers) but now I am starting to wonder if a conversion would be better. By the way I paid $260 USD with shipping for the SS5's is that a reasonable price?

And if the KSF-C5 is the way to go how much money should I be willing to pay?

jyarb,

I think the choice between the C5 and an 8.5 as a center would be based on how important convenience, time and money are to you. HornEd has insisted there is no better center than an additional main, but modifying it takes time, and a bit of ingenuity and craftsmanship to get it to sound right and look good. But projects like this can be fun! Plus, you'd end up with an extra 8.5 (probably) after purchasing a pair, but, if you have storage room, a spare (for parts) wouldn't be a bad thing to have. It could even be a rear center in a 6.1 set-up.

You could get the C5, start enjoying it (or disliking it, doubtful) right away,then sell it on eBay if it doesn't work out.

As far as price, I'd expect to pay about what you paid for the surrounds (good price), maybe less. Good luck!

fini

p.s. Looking at the bid history of the C5 on eBay, so far you don't have a lot of competition (19 bids, but most are from someone's proxy bid getting run up and maxed-out). Stay on top of it, maybe bid right at the end.

Edit: I just saw this one, posted here on the board. It's you lucky day!

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum9/HTML/002307.html

This message has been edited by fini on 07-19-2002 at 09:35 AM

What fini said. Plus, the C-5 is a very good center speaker. I would definitely try it first if size of the center speaker matters at all. I do not think a converted 8.5 would be much/enough of an improvement over the C-5 to warrant the associated problems. I have a C-5 I'll consider selling if you just can't find one elsewhere. $200.

Keith