JL audio subwoofer pics...

sesquim

LooK at how many SubwooferS!!! I want one for my hometheater! and computer! and I'll call them my LOUDMEDIAS hehe! But I dont think its possible to plug it to a wall outlet.. or is it?

220109_1_full.jpg

------------------

»®»ŦħĄňķŜ«®«

»®»Life Is Góód«®«

»®»Its All Gööd«®«

This message has been edited by sesquim on 07-19-2002 at 09:27 AM

Its mostly about SPL here,as quality takes a dive in these massive subwoofers on wheels.

JL Audio has a new line of high end subwoofer drivers,they have a 10,12 and 14" I think.Awesome,very much like SVS SS drivers on steroids.Expensive too,as each driver costs next to $800!

Today I heard the awesome Wilson Audio WatchDog subwoofer.This huge sub uses only one 12" driver!You would neber guess by listening,it digs as low as any sub and hits hard.Sub bass quality is among the elite(REL Stadium,Velo HGS18,JBL Ti-K and Aerial SW12)and for a ONE 12" driver sub this thing has power.

The driver is the most massive piece I saw to date.Makes the Aerial and SVS SS drivers look average!

The bad part is the sky high price,a whopping $10000US and nearly $18000 in Canada! cwm3.gif

The reason is the second to none(well second to Krell)cabinet construction and all around quality.This thing is heavy,its a T-34 tank with sub bass output.

The SVS Ultra does most the Watch Dog does for ALOT LESS.Cabinet construction is another thing,the Watch Dog eats all SVS,Velo subs in this departament.In fact it makes them look like cheap dollar store products.The Aerial SW12 holds its own damn well,both performance and construction...at half the pice!A bragain Wink.gif

David Wislon knows about quality speaker cabinets and how to almost eliminate all vibrations.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Where can I see a picture of the woofer?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

cwm24.gif

wilson_watchdog_driver.jpg

WHOA! I'll take 4 and make a supersub.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Yep this woofer custom made for Wilson is one bad SOB.

Linear in exess of 2 inches!Just one provides quality and quantity you could ever want.

I tell you,this WIlson WatchDog has to be seen and heard.A pic or a mere review only hints its quality and construction.Its one mean MOFO,the sub weighs over double of a Aerial(and the Aerial is tanklike)!!!

I was shocked when I first noticed it used one 12" driver.This sub has more power then most 15" and definition only very few posess.Down low it whips the HGS18 and Revel B15.Even the SVS Ultra 12" does not match this 12" in overall performance.SPL is close but for bass definition the Wislon is a clear winner.No wonder it costs eight times the price(if SVS is purchased with Samson 1000 amp).

Now I have a dilema,should I save for this sub or buy a few SVS.I think a few SVS will get me most of the quality and even more output for much less.Hmm

I dig the Wilson gloss finish,great looking.Not like the cheapo Velodyne glossy finish.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>Now I have a dilema,should I save for this sub or buy a few SVS.I think a few SVS will get me most of the quality and even more output for much less.Hmm

I dig the Wilson gloss finish,great looking.Not like the cheapo Velodyne glossy finish.<<<

Hey Ears...been a while Smile.gif

The wilson does look like a mean SOB, I agree with you it could give an Ultra/SS all it could handle...and maybe then some.(but I'd like to see some objective confirmation of that of course).

Regarding your "dilema"...relax and email me toward the end of summer...I'm in the final design stages on a couple of things that may further you on your quest towards the holy-woof...

TV

TV,

Relax,do you think for one minute I will spend nearly $18000Can.(incl. taxes)for ONE subwoofer. Not a fat chance in hell,no matter how good it is.Ok maybe if it would give 124dB at 16Hz and all this from one subwoofer.Such a beast does not exist and would be very expensive.

SVS is on the radar,and two Ultras I will get.Price performance is second to none.

Now the SVS SS while looking better,real wood finishes does not improve performance.Sure it will look better,I may opt for two SVS SS with no amp(I have two large powerful amps spare at home I could use).

Now if you have a new project,the better.One thing is sure,I will get at least two SVS Ultras,and who knows even two CS-Plus(non powered)are on my list too.When I like a company and their products(example Sunfire)end up having a collection of their products. Smile.gif

On a side note I did not have a chance to compare the SVS Ultra(first version)to the Wislon WatchDog side by side.I wish I did,this sub is way to big and heavy to be borrowed from the store for a test.And besides they have one so they will charge for the rental,and charge big.In general you pay the full retail,and pay 1% per day of rental when the sub is returned.

What I do is bring my trusty EL Cheapo SPL meter with me and a few CD's I know well.The Wilson is in the elite league,for a sub using one 12" woofer.By the size and built you would guess it uses a 15" or even 18",but no "only" one 12.And a little 400W amp,but what 400W,true wattage here and the rating must be very conservative.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey, how about a SVS with a 15" or 18" woofer?

------------------

Are you guys talking about the JL W7??

EAR, you said you wouldn't spend $1800 on ONE sub? Why not. You have many subs that cost more.

I heard the W7. It it very loud. Sounds only OK.

For the same price, I would go with a Focal.

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

Matthew,

If you read I said I would not spend $ 18000 on one subwoofer,$ 1800 is no problem.Even $ 6000 is A ok,even $ 10 000 stretched would fit if the sub did deliver Krell MRS like power and control.

So far you get what you pay for,with SVS a good bit more.Even when I will order and get my SVS Ultras I will not replace the Aerial as the main music sub,its the overall champ(best sub under $6000 US).A top of the line sub sould deliver accurate sub bass(speed,tightness...err control),play at high SPL is needed with no audible stress and be built like a tank and have a gorgeous finish(in my case only bird eye maple does,true piano rosewood is also ok Wink.gif ).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>Hey, how about a SVS with a 15" or 18" woofer?<<<

yawn...that's so 15 minutes ago...Smile.gif

How about a package that is capable of >130dBs (using a rather strict 10%thd limit)...measured outside at least 75ft from the nearest reflective boundary... with the mic at 2 meters? This is ground plane measuring---no room reinforcement.No boundary reinforcement(except for the ground),and no *room gain* effect (this is the same as 1m true anechoic btw) Figure 140 in an average size room depending on how the room actually holds together. In context...like say 8 HGS18s.

No one could actually do this of course, but it's nice to dream...you never know...

TV

yawn...that's so 15 minutes ago...Frown.gif

Frown.gif

Frown.gif

------------------

no disrespect meant kenratboy.

Its just that if you have *X* performance with a 12" driver...folks think all you have to do is use a 15/18" driver to get more of the same...which isn't the case at all.We've been getting asked about 15/18" drivers for about 2 years now....but I haven't finished pushing the envelope on the 12s yet Smile.gif

TV

Keep on pushing the limits TV,subwoofers using 12" woofers did not reach the limits yet.

Just take a listen to an Ultra,Aerial SW12 or Wilson WatchDog you know performance is good.

And my best sub uses a single 12" woofer,the Aerial beats the big Velo and the mighty Revel.And a famous 13" cube using one active and one passive 12" comes mighty close to full size sub performance.

REL for example use mostly 10" Volt woofers,no 15 or 18" bruisers.And all who heard a REL will tell you REL's sub bass quality is top notch.

Driver size alone does not guarantee top notch performance.And output alone is not the only performance factor.If it was we would own Pro horn loaded woofers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR said:

REL for example use mostly 10" Volt woofers,no 15 or 18" bruisers.And all who heard a REL will tell you REL's sub bass quality is top notch.

Being the proud owner of a REL Storm III, I can personally vouch for that. Considering the sub has "only" a 10" woofer and a mere 150 watts power in the amp, it can deliver. The bass if very clean and detailed, but it can still deliver for the movies! I'd love to be able to get one of the bigger models, but they are just too expensive for me. In the future, I may consider also getting a pair of SVS Ultras, but keep the REL for use with music.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

You got that right Steven,the Ear's trained sub human ears dont fail.European ears deluxe Smile.gif

The Stentor and Studio subs are amazing,make all the hyped subs here sound like undefined sub class toys.

LOL and its true

There is one sub I hold higher then even the impressive Aerial SW12,and its the REL Stadium.What a sub,a feast for the musical ears.REL knows subs and musicality is at the very top.

If I had 10 grand Canadian I would get the REL Stadium,best sounding sub I ever heard.And no brutish brute force(mere output)was not the main objective.

I think I owe myself a REL Stadium one of these days. Smile.gif DROOL

cwm3.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR said:

I think I owe myself a REL Stadium one of these days. DROOL

And we both drool together Smile.gif

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)