Tubes and SS Need Help

Hi,

I need help from the tube gurus on this board. I have several questions. Here goes:

1. Would I be better off with a Tube receiver or with using my SS pre and tubes for the amplification (yes it has to run along side my ss amp too).

3. What is the difference between valve amps, set amps, triodes, etc. Is one better then the other for Klipsch speakers?

Thanks

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Electronics:

Two" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Electronics:

Two</A> Sherbourn 5 channel, mono-block amplifiers. 200 watt bi-polar design. Very similar to the Bryston amp with more power and a much shorter warranty. Incredible reviews got me to buy this amp. I wanted mono-blocks for 5.1 listening and I can hear a huge difference over my old B&K AV5000II amp. The B&K was a great 2 channel amp but for 5 full range speakers it was not too good. I can hear sounds in the rears and fronts that I didn't hear before with the B&K. I really believe that 5 full range speakers require mono-blocks to perform correctly.

Two Newcaste preamps. These preamps are dark horses. They are dead silent and transparent with incredible bass, gain, and speaker settings. I also have a 6 channel pass through and a CD analog pass through.

One Pioneer Elite 47A DVD, SACD, DVD-A, MP3, player. I love the DACS on this player and am addicted to the new, high rez formats.

One Pioneer 414 DVD player. Great picture with OK audio.

One Denon DCD-1500 CD player. This was one of the first CD players to be produced.

VHS: Who cares!

Just got digital TV with on demand movies and programming. Most of the channels are in DD so I have really been using my 5.1 setup. Cables are Monster and AR and Dayton. I don't believe in spending big bucks on this. My setup is not ultra-high end but is on the cusp of it. You could spend thousands more but I doubt of you could get more then 10% better sound from the gear I have. I haven't heard tubes on my rigs yet so I better hold off on my last statement.

This message has been edited by trader on 07-19-2002 at 08:43 PM

Thanks for the informative post. I also located an A/B switch at partsexpress. I don't know why i didn't think of that. I guess I was trying to make it more complicated then it was. Do you think I would be better off using my SS pre with a tube amp or get a tube receiver??

------------------

Electronics:

Electronics:

Two

Sherbourn 5 channel, mono-block amplifiers. 200 watt bi-polar design. Very similar to the Bryston amp with more power and a much shorter warranty. Incredible reviews got me to buy this amp. I wanted mono-blocks for 5.1 listening and I can hear a huge difference over my old B&K AV5000II amp. The B&K was a great 2 channel amp but for 5 full range speakers it was not too good. I can hear sounds in the rears and fronts that I didn't hear before with the B&K. I really believe that 5 full range speakers require mono-blocks to perform correctly.

Two Newcaste preamps. These preamps are dark horses. They are dead silent and transparent with incredible bass, gain, and speaker settings. I also have a 6 channel pass through and a CD analog pass through.

One Pioneer Elite 47A DVD, SACD, DVD-A, MP3, player. I love the DACS on this player and am addicted to the new, high rez formats.

One Denon DCD-1500 CD player. This was one of the first CD players to be produced.

Just got digital TV with on demand movies and programming. Most of the channels are in DD so I have really been using my 5.1 setup. Cables are Monster and AR and Dayton. I don't believe in spending big bucks on this. My setup is not ultra-high end but is on the cusp of it. You could spend thousands more but I doubt of you could get more then 10% better sound from the gear I have. I haven't heard tubes on my rigs yet so I better hold off on my last statement.

trader,

I assume you're talking about buying a used tube receiver, like one of the old Pioneers, or something? I don't know of anyone who's producing tubed receivers today...

If so, are you comparing using an old tube receiver vs new tube amp driven by the Newcaste preamps, or are you thinking about picking up a used tube amp that would be of the same generation as the available tube receivers?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray,

I'm not sure. I'd consider anything. How is the new AMC compared to older studd?

------------------

Electronics:

Electronics:

Two

Sherbourn 5 channel, mono-block amplifiers. 200 watt bi-polar design. Very similar to the Bryston amp with more power and a much shorter warranty. Incredible reviews got me to buy this amp. I wanted mono-blocks for 5.1 listening and I can hear a huge difference over my old B&K AV5000II amp. The B&K was a great 2 channel amp but for 5 full range speakers it was not too good. I can hear sounds in the rears and fronts that I didn't hear before with the B&K. I really believe that 5 full range speakers require mono-blocks to perform correctly.

Mdeneen,

That helps me understand the design, thanks.

The amp. is the new 6 channel (SS) home theater power amp they came out with this year. Home Theater mag.has a review on it in their June issue.

It does have transformers, so I guess that is how it performs the Push Pull operation. Now I just wonder why they bother to do it, since it's not necessary being there arn't any tubes. Could this be why it's susposed to have a tube like sound? Maybe it was just a sales pitch.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mdeneen,

I was afraid to lay down the money that this amp cost.

I would have been very disapointed if I couldn't hear any improvement once I hooked it up. I think it has been the best tweak so far. I really enjoy the sound, worth every penny.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

trader! for all things audio...

EDIT THAT SIGNATURE! that signature is way too long, even mine has been scrutenized.

please oh please... make it short, sweet, and 2 the point

cheers

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

quote:

Originally posted by trader:

Sorry. I'll shorten it tomorrow when I'm awake.

no problem Smile.gif

oh and by the way, for not being awake, you sure can type good! Smile.gif cheers!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>