Refinish Classic Kg5.2s

theryugo

I finally got the nerve to refinish my black KG5.2s, and after reading some great posts here about it, I dove in---Screwed up once, restripped and refinished them, but now they look fabulous--so much better than the cheap finish that was on them--

The biggest problems were: 1)Getting my wife to let me use the dining room table to put the finish on (white carpet!!), and 2)getting out of Home Depot without buying the whole paint aisle--

If you just take your time and put on thin (as opposed to thick) coats of stain and finish--it turns out great--

I had black lacquer over oak cabinets, and as it has been said on this forum, lacquer thinner is by far the easiest way to get that lacquer off--I tried strippers and they are messy and not as effective--

I can't recommend buying a power sander enough. I tried it without one the first time, but you can't get the wood smooth enough with just sandpaper. I got a RYOBI Corner CAT for $25, and it makes that wood smooth as a baby's... a real professional look--

I took light oak cabinets and stained them with 5 treatments of Gel Stain and Wood Finish (Minwax) to get them to look almost like walnut--you've got to use the Pre-Stain Conditioner before you put on the stain--its worth it. Polyurethane finish goes on easy and flattens out beautifully--

It was so much fun I'm looking for something else to re-finish---Naaaah!!

Personally...I love to use satin polyurethane...brushing it on...it levels out so smoothly and the brush allows it to work into the grain to give it more "grab" to the surface than spraying it on would accomplish...at least on the first "sealer coat"!! I use minwax too...it is relatively inexpensive, fast(but not TOO FAST) drying, and turns out well on everything I have used it on so far!!

And, by using the satin finish...it doesn't overpower with a glossiness...AND it tends to make finish repairs much easier later on for light scratches and such...just lightly sand the scratch and hit it with a shot of satin minwax from a spray can and the scratch just disappears as the finish dries and levels into the previous coat!! PLUS...to clean it you just give it a shot of windex and wipe it off!!! Gotta love a finish with those properties!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-21-2002 at 09:13 AM

I put on semi-gloss instead of satin. It is shinier, but it gives alot of character to the darker wood. I had to match a big armoire the system will be in anyway.

Its good to hear about the polyurethane--its so clear and so smooth---All the Minwax literature says that it "ambers" after awhile--in your experience-is that a good thing? It enhances the look?

these speakers just finished drying---

I've found that on the lighter finishes ,natural, oak, maple, the ambering effect tends to add warmth and a bit of depth to the finish (and slightly darkens as it ages). In my opinion, making the finish look much better, and less harsh. On the darker finishes, the effect is not as noticible to me, if not imperceptible , but there is still a slight darkening effect. Just dont use a wax product on the finish, this will build up over time, and significantly darken the finish. Besides, you don't need the wax. I use a non-wax furniture polish to clean up (or what evers handy) Polyurethane is pretty bullet proof, it's definitely ME proof and that says alot..