In ceiling side surrounds?

GoBlueDevils

Thanks to everybody's advice on another topic I had, I'm planning on using RF-62 and RC-62 for my fronts/center. However, I'm torn about what to do on my side surrounds. I don't have a wall on one side of the area to easily attach an on-wall speaker, so I was thinking about going with in-ceiling for the sides. Any suggestions on in-ceiling surround speakers that I should consider? Or, and I know this sounds crazy, but since I have nothing but full attic space above the area in question, should I consider putting a bookshelf surround flush with the ceiling?

• Moderators

I had the same issue as I had a double sliding glass door on one side of my room. The solution was to make a custom mount that dropped down from the wall. Check out my build thread here. If you scroll down and maybe on the next page, you will see actual photos of the mount Wakejunkie made and it installed.

Back_Wall.jpg

I had the same issue as I had a double sliding glass door on one side of my room. The solution was to make a custom mount that dropped down from the wall. Check out my build thread here. If you scroll down and maybe on the next page, you will see actual photos of the mount Wakejunkie made and it installed.

I like that idea for your situation, Youthman. Unfortunately, for me, I'm not doing a dedicated theater and my space (a large bonus room upstairs) doesn't have any wall where I need to put the side surrounds. I have an area that's about 15'(W)x19'(D) where I have the projection screen/theater area. Next to that (but open to that space) is a pool table (so about 13x19). Besides the fact that I also wanted to keep my pool table, I couldn't really use the full space for a theater anyways, since the one wall has the steps coming into it and another cutout on the other end of that wall, and the far wall has an opening in the middle for a hallway to a storage closet and bathroom. So, I could really only put a large projection screen in the one place that I decided to put it. So, my only option for using wall-mounted side surrounds would be to drop a mount down from the ceiling on the one side and I'd have a random speaker floating in mid-air (definitely not good for WAF)! ;) That's why ceiling-mounted is really my only option. I'm just trying to figure out what my best option would be for mounting in the ceiling. I'm wondering if a standard bookshelf speaker-type would work (I know the speakers inside the bookshelf cabinet would be rotated by 90 degrees). I'm not worried about sound bleeding into the attic area (since there's no living space above/next to that area). I'm just trying to think outside of the box and come up with some sort of plan.

I run in ceiling surrounds. About 1.5 feet behind and about 1.5 feet from the side walls. I feel that they are very good for movies. I can't say for music as I really don't care for music in surround.

vnzbd, what speakers are you using for your in-ceiling surrounds? Also, what speakers are you running for your LCR and do they work well together?

I did side and rear surrounds in-ceiling and it was a great decision.

Id probably go with the:

CDT-3650-C II http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-3650-C-II

or

CDT-5650-C II http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-5650-C-II (this is the notch up from the 3650)

I put in CDT-5800-C II's because i have the RF-7's and said go big or go home. I think the two above suggested speakers will match just right and are well sized for your setup. The effect of down firing ceiling speakers gives a great surround effect despite what most would think. I would say that it more omni-directional feeling than wall mounted speakers. I get a very enveloping feeling from it all.

I am currently running a 6.5" set of reference surrounds, not sure of the model. The LCR are from the KLF series. Over the years I have used ran the Ref surrounds with Chorus IIs, Quartets and Zu Omen Defs. I am in the camp that the surrounds do not have to match the LCR. For the puriest I am sure there is a benifit but I am OK with it.

i have built many HT setups using ceiling speakers. I got the best results by locating as you are planning from the corners, AND installing a 1/2" plywood running over the ceiling joists, THEN insulting the ceiling. i also filled the "box" with fiberglass insulation and place cheese cloth attached to the plywood joists to keep the fiberglass off the speaker. Most in-wall speakers need plenty of space above/behind them to sound their best. Since I always used cellulose insulation, the "box" was necessary to allow for climate insulation of the room envelope and the fiberglass was to smooth out reflected waves.

My own HT project in this house is to use Frazier F-12-4H for ceiling speakers.