Help with KSP-300 please!

Capslock

Hello,

I've come into possession of a pair of the older ksp-300 two channel powered tower speakers. Unfortunately, I have no documentation. I'm using them with a Denon AVR 3600 A/V reciever, and can't figure out the proper wiring. When powered, they emit a quiet buzz that is obviously wrong.

I'm an audio novice, so I'm not at all sure about what I'm doing. Does anyone have a quick explanation for me? I'm trying to run a DVD player, TV with Sattelite, and the audio receiver.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Capslock

There's a good dozen causes for buzz. You need to tell us how they're connected now and if a particular component causes the buzz. Start by having the speakers on and connected to only the receiver by the speaker wires. Have nothing connected to the receiver. Does it buzz? If so, disconnect the speaker wires from the speaker and check for buzz. If you have it, you have a speaker defect. If not it is in the receiver. If you have no buzz at the first configuration, plug in one thing at a time (turned on) until you find the cause. It could be a ground loop. Those are often tough to eliminate.

John

HEY CAPSLOCK! BY 'PROPER WIRING' DO YOU MEAN THE SPEAKER WIRING? IF SO, AT THE REAR OF THE SPEAKERS YOU HAVE TWO PAIR OF FIVE-WAY BINDING POSTS. THERE SHOULD BE FLAT GOLD STRAPS CONNECTING BOTH THE RED POSTS TOGETHER AND THE BLACK POSTS TOGETHER. IF NOT, SIMPLY CUT SOME SPEAKER WIRE AND CONNECT THE TWO POSITIVE BINDING POSTS TOGETHER AND THE TWO NEGATIVE POSTS TOGETHER. RUN SPEAKER WIRE FROM YOUR RECEIVER TO ONE OF THE NEGS AND ONE OF THE POS. RUN A SUB CABLE FROM YOUR RECEIVER SUB OUTPUT TO THE LFE INPUT ON ONE SPEAKER, AND ANOTHER SUB CABLE FROM THE LFE OUTPUT OF THAT FIRST SPEAKER TO THE LFE INPUT ON THE REAR OF THE SECOND SPEAKER. SET BOTH VOLUME CONTROLS ON THE BACK OF EACK SPEAKER TO ABOUT THE NINE (9) O'CLOCK POSITION FOR STARTERS.

IN YOUR RECEIVER SPEAKER SETUP MENU SET FRONT SPEAKERS TO 'LARGE' AND SUBWOOFER TO 'LFE' ONLY. YOUR FRONT SPEAKERS WILL THEN PLAY AS ANY OTHER FULL RANGE SPEAKER AND YOU CAN ADJUST THE 'LOW' GAIN CONTROL TO SUIT YOURSELF. CAREFUL, YOU WILL FIND THAT TOO MUCH BASS WILL GIVE YOU AN UNBALANCED SOUND AND SOUND MUDDY?.

BEFORE YOU TRY JOHN'S GOOD ADVICE ABOVE, YOU MIGHT GET A COUPLE OF THOSE .59 CENT THREE/TWO ADAPTERS TO 'FLOAT THE GROUND'. THAT MAY ELIMINATE OR DIMINISH THE HMMMM.

I GUESS I COULD MAIL YOU A COPY OF THE OWNERS MANUAL. I'M NOT SURE THE ATTEMPT WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL THOUGH AS EVERY TIME I'VE DONE THAT BEFORE, I'VE YET TO HEAR FROM THE RECIPIENT.

LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP YOU FURTHER.

keith

One more thing CAPSLOCK, if you're interested in the matching center and surrounds let me know. Got a lead or two. Don't dilly-dally around too long.

When you get the speakers set up correctly you'll enjoy them.

Good luck!

KEITH