3802 Troubleshooting

Mlstrass

Returned home from a business trip today to discover that the ON/STANDBY button is flashing. According to the manual it's either over-heating, which can't be the case since it hadn't been played recently, or one of the speaker connections is shorted.

I disconnected ALL of the speakers from the unit and still get a flashing light. I tried resetting the processer and still no luck. Could the unit have been over-heated/played too loud while I was gone, and not be able to recover? I can't believe my wife/son would play it that loud with 9 Klipsch towers hooked up.

Any other ideas??? TIA...Mike

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF 10's/20's - surrounds

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

I bought it online last Fall before I knew about the unauthorized dealer hassle, so I'm stuck paying for it if it's not anything simple that I'm overlooking...

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

The only thing I could suggest is unplug the unit and let it sit for a little while to make sure it is indeed cooled down and then try it again. Also, double check your speaker connections, not just at the Denon, but at the speakers themselves to make sure a pair of bare wires did not get crossed or touching each other, thus causing a short.

Failing that, try giving Denon a call and see what happens.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

For what it's worth, Boa's "whack a receiver" technique fixed my problem (different than what you are experiencing). You might want to start out a little lighter than the 4-foot drop though. No joke, a little jarring often does the trick, at least temporarily.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the 3802, but unless it's a 9.1 system you are either a)running your surrounds in A/B mode, or b)running each channel with 2 speakers in parallel. The KLF series speakers are 8 ohms, which is good, but if you are running the surrounds in parallel the equivalent impedance would be 4 ohms and may be the culprit for an over-heated receiver. The 4 ohm load would draw substantially more current and with five other speakers it may have killed your power supply. The Denon's are an excellent amp and I would imagine the 3802 is at least 100W/ch x 5. The Klipsch's are usually an easy load because of their high efficiencies, but I would still be very afraid of paralleling two on the surround channels.

The only way I could see hitting/dropping the receiver as a fix would be if the speaker relay (delays the connection to the speakers until the amp is completely powered up to avoid pops) is stuck in it's disconnect mode and the drop/hit shakes the contacts loose. I would never drop it from 4'you're just asking for trouble. It logical to believe if you can jar the contacts free on the relay, you can also jar something loose you don't want to, ie the procedure may cause more problems than it fixes.

If you're gear savvy at all, disconnect all speakers. If the light is still on, remove the top cover of the receiver and look for the relay, it's probably near the speaker connections, and tap on the relay itself. Monitor the light to see if it goes off. If it does, you know where the problem lies and it may stay fixed, if it doesn't you know where to tell the shop to look. If the light goes out without tapping the relay, you probably have a shorted speaker and it can be found by connecting each one until the relay shuts the receiver down again. Hope this helps.

Got it fixed a few weeks ago. Looks like a power surge of some kind took out part of the power supply. I also bought a better surge protector!!

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

Good, glad to hear that you got it resolved. I was wondering how it all came out in the end.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)