First-timer, looking at HT with Klipsch

ColinM

Hi all. Just some questions to get the feeling of what I am about to do.

I have a small HT based on the HK AVR110, 40x5. Obviously not a lot of horsepower, but good power nontheless...I believe.

Anyway, I have NHT Ones and Zeros, 86db efficient. I know I stress the amp and the speakers on occasion, and I would rather get higher efficency speakers than revamp the receiver.

I like the KG 2.5's I see for sale so often and are my first choice, or maybe the SB-2 or the KSB 2.1. I'd rather keep the original investment rolling over to new equipment, as I spend most of my money on LD's and other software right now. So the NHT's are going to be Klipsches soon, unless someone can tell me why this would be a mistake.

I like the "live" sound I've gotten used to while being a stagehand at the local theaters. Bright, sharp, with a real attack on the edge, but just soft enough not to kill me if I watch 2 movies in a night.

Really I'm just going for a 5-6 db increase in eff. to make the amp run better.

The 3 models I mentioned - KG2.5, KSB2.1 and the SB-2, all have different charachteristics. Which one is the favorite here? (I like the looks of the 2.5). I've never listened to any, which is a sin and I know I should do THAT and just make up my mind, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say.

Thanks for reading my rambles.....

Colin,

Welcome aboard! I have not heard the Klipsch models you've indicated. However, you may want to add Kg4's to your list as well. They have a wonderful sound, passive rear radiators for good bass (when near walls/corners) and can often found on eBay & audigon sites at reasonable prices. Perhaps you could indicate your room size and amount budgeted. That info will be helpful to other members who have knowledge of the models you mentioned.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 07-22-2002 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestion!

Room = 23x12x8, relatively live but with carpet.

Current system =

NHT Ones Mains

NHT Zeros Surr

BIC 62CLR Ctr (I like it, will not change until much later)

SVS 20*39CS with 250 watt plate amp

AVR 110

Budget? Whatever I can get for the Ones ($200) plus another $100 if I sell some LD's ...$300 or so.

I like stand-mounted speakers, especially the way I have things set up. Obviously it's a long narrow room, but I have my stuff firing the "short" way at one end of the room, the other half a play area for ze kid. I sit ~9' from the TV that way and have freedom of placement for the speakers.

I'd consider floorstanders in the future, but don't want to compromise quality in the short term, hence bookshelves.

Thanks

This message has been edited by ColinM on 07-22-2002 at 11:39 AM

CM,

It will be a tall order trying to find four Klipsch within that price range. You could begin by just updating the front mains with a matching Klipsch center. The center is very important, it anchors the front and performs the lions share of duty across the entire front array.

You could always update the rears at a later date. The first two links below will provide info on Klipsch SB-1 Bookshelfs and their matching SC.5 Center . Finding the fronts and center within your price range may be possible. Good news is your SVS subwoofer is more than adequate. You can also check out the bottom link to Klipsch Classic Speakers, look at the various KG Bookshelf Speakers & matching centers, these often show up at good prices on eBay.

Wes

Klipsch SB-1 Bookshelf

http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=39&line=home

Klipsch SC.5 Center http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=40

Klipsch Classic Speakers

http://www.klipsch.com/products/homeaudio/classic.asp

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 07-22-2002 at 07:20 PM

I scored a set of KF4.5s locally. After listening to them, and going head over heels....cwm38.gif

I found this sight...

Then I started cruising ebay...I just bought a KSCC1 center, there are deals all over.

I cant wait to change all over to Klipsch.cwm11.gif

------------------

-Billyc>s>

Billy -

That's what I'll be saying I'm sure, that I'd be happier with horns.

I guess if I had to pick a model I'd like to SEE in my room, it'd be the 2.5's. Can anyone tell me if there are any detriments to this speaker? That tweeter seems to be unique to that series (A lot of the KG's, anyway) and one other center channel. Is that an indicator that it may not be a solid design?

There are some folks on the board that have systems built around the KG2.5. If you are set on bookshelf size, they'll be a fine choice. Plus, you can sometimes find a 2.5v for your center channel (it's shielded).

The BIC speaker you are using for a center will possibly create a hiccup in the front soundstage. I'd look to replace that as soon as possible with a Klipsch that matches your mains.

With that SVS sub, you won't have to worry about bass, that's for sure!

Doug

------------------

My System

No bass problems at all!

I just picked up some SB-2's. Ill a/b them with the NHT's, and if I don't like them I'll get some 2.5's. I swun by the local B&M to listen to the SB-2, but they were on a shelf 9 ft in the air. WTF is up with that?

So I listened to SB-1's. They image like mad if they are pionted right at you, for sure!

I understand the BIC problem. I'm picky, but can stand a bit of that discrepancy if it exists.

I am excited to set them up...

- C