Help! Looking for OTA HD stand alone Tuner

tnr

I have a Samsung 61" DLP TV with a bad tuner. I don't have cable or satellite. I am pulling over-the-air broadcast TV with a large outdoor antenna on a 40' mast. The TV tuner started acting up...deep blacks are now blue and pixalated. I hooked up another TV exactly like I have the Samsung hooked up and it works fine, so cables, spliters, etc, have been ruled out. The display works perfect for DVD's, so I narrowed the problem to the TV's tuner. I purchased a Roku 3 and programming through it is fine too. I chatted with Samsung tech support and talked to a couple local Samsung authorized service centers, and they don't want to help. They all have the throw out and replace mindset. One guy thought it was the main board. I have surfed the internet looking for a stand alone HD tuner that I can hook up my coax antenna input to and use as a stand alone tuner. I would think there would be something out there, preferably with HDMI outputs. I am 75 miles away from Chicago, so I would like to see if a proposed tuner has specs indicating it's strength in pulling distant signals. I could use a crappy digital-to-analog converter box, but then I am only getting standard def. Can anyone offer recommendations? Thanks for your time! :(

I have an iView 3500STB2 OTA tuner. Currently $40 on Newegg.

It can receive OTA or cable. I use OTA. Antenna orientation is important for best reception. It receives HD channels. HDMI 1080p output. Dolby 5.1 if available.

It can also record shows if you attach an USB HDD to it.

I'm very pleased with it. I just need an outdoor antenna to get the best reception.

Good luck.

• Like 1