XP and 4.1

This question might have been ask and answered before but I couldn't find it. I'm running Win XP Pro and a Hercules Muse sound card. I can get sound fine out of the satellites but the subwoffer is very quite. XP doesn't have a setting for 4.1 speakers and this buggins me. If I set XP to 2.1 I get great bass but no rear. Anyclue how to get 4.1 on XP? Or should I buy a new sound card?

THanks

if you get great bass with a 2.1 setting, then the problem is not the promedia's.

reinstall the card if you need to.

make sure no option like small speaker is selected, you want large speaker.

what is the bass set at on the control pod? is it set to the white mark on the control pod?

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Do not select LFE, subwoofer, or whatever sends the bass to the sub channel. You want the 4 full range signals going to the 4.1's. The Klipsch sorts out the frequencies on their own.

The name 4.1 doesn't refer to 4.1 channels like 5.1 does. I guess somebody just counted the boxes and named them.

Well they work off the computer fine. The sub volume is set to the THX marker but even if you set it full there's still not that much bass. I can get GREAT bass with 2.1 setting on Win 98 but XP seems pissy with these 4.1s. I think it's just XP's problem. Does anyone out there run XP and 4.1?

EXPLAIN THIS! I work on computers for a living and this is messed up. I go out to eat..come back to a BSOD(Blue Screen of Death)....I reboot and after 4 months of no bass..I get FULL BASS in XP. It's weird....oh well..I'm not questioning it. Thanks for all your help people.

wait... you got the blue screen of death with windows XP? i have never gotton that and i don't think winxp has a blue screen of death.

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Well lucky you. XP (Pro atleast) does have the BSOD. Although I love it compared to the old one. This BSOD actaully tells you EXACTLY what went wrong, why it happened, and what to do if it happens again. Although I wouldn't complain if I never saw the screen again but my sound card , video card, and RAM don't like XP all that much and they constantly are fighting so I see it atleast once a week.