Help choose 1 of 2 options, please

t-man

My buddy wants me to put together an HT for him for $1500. He already has a big screen TV and and DVD player, but that's it.

First thing is he needs a sub. That's easy: SVS 25-31 PCI = $500. I'll pick him out one of the $300 Denon's for the receiver. That only leaves $900 for all his speakers. I'll figure I'll be able to get him to kick in a few hundred more bucks if I need to, but here's my options:

1. 4 RB3s and and RC3 center = $1169 delivered (internet)

2. Used KG 2.2/2.5 - I figure I can get 4 nice ones for about $400-500, and I'll give him my 2.2v for free.

Obviously, option 2 is cheaper, but it will require much more dinking around, and who knows what condition we'll actually find by the time we put 4 speakers together.

Basically, I want opinions on if the RB3s are any good. Do you think they are better than the KGs? I used to have KG 2.2s for my mains without a sub many years back , and I loved them!!! I haven't heard the RB3s.

If we go new, I can always advise him to leave out the center channel for now and run phantom to save some cash. He will have to put the speakers really snug to the TV anyway b/c he will have his TV in a corner. This is the reason I'm suggesting bookshelves for him.

Thanks,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Crest LA601 sub amp

Denon AVR 681/1601

I actually have four KG-2.5's.... or will have when they arrive. And I have no reciever either. I was thinking about buying some Epics, and if I sold all four of my KG-2.5's I would have just enough.... Wow this is a difficult decision to make. Instead of four KG's I would only have two CF's and still would have no reciever. lol

I am gonna play off of your topic here t-man.... guys what do I do now too?! cwm16.gif

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>