Drilling in speaker for mounting brackets

smyle1

I was wondering if someone could tell me where the best place is, and the worst place, to drill into my Klipsch RS3's to attach an omnimount speaker bracket. Before I order a bracket, want to make sure that I get one that will allow me to drill in the appropriate place. I don't want to drill into my speakers,but to get them in the proper place in my room, i need to attach them to a wall, and I haven't seen any other way of doing it.

Any information is appreciated.

Smyle1

What I would do, rather than drill the mounting holes into the RS3's, is make a simple pine or oak holder that tightly fits the rs3 footprint. Then screw the mounting bracket either directly into the bottom of this tray, or add a back piece and screw into that.

You can stain or paint the exposed would so that it complements the RS3s. Black would work.

I don't see why you are forced to direct into the RS3's....

cwm9.gif

------------------

Amp: Integra 7.2

DVD: Toshiba SD4700

Fronts: RF-7

Centre: RC-7

Surrounds: old Advents!

Sub: None

TV: Dreaming of Plasma

Whoaaaa - back up the drill press! The RS-3s come with keyhole mounting brackets already installed on the back of the speakers. Those should work for 99% of installations.

If you have a unique installation requirement, such as having to pivot them, or angle them down, then I'd suggest making a "mating" plate out of a piece of wood (like a 1x4), fastening the Omnimount bracket to one side of the wood and then affixing that assembly to the RS-3 using the keyhole mounts that are included. That will avoid any drilling into the speaker cabinet.

Just my .02...

Doug

------------------

My System

Wow! another great idea. I knew that the RS3's had the keyholes on the back, but didn't see any mounting plates with any of the speaker brackets that could use those. adding a "spacer" is a great idea. I really wasn't comfortable with drilling into these wonderful speakers.

Thanks

Don

Don - Just be sure that whatever hardware you use to hook into the keyhole brackets on the RS-3 is well secured to the "mating" plate. You may have to drill all the way through it and the Omnimount bracket itself on the "other side," and use a bolt/nut/washer combo so that it is strong enough to hold the RS-3.

Doug

------------------

My System

• 3 weeks later...