Those round rubber horn gaskets...

absolve2525

I'm using my K55M with EV 2inch adapters and Vtrac horns in my K-horns. I'm still waiting to decide on a large format horn driver upgrade. I was wondering, the EV adapters have horn gaskets that are more narrow and less obstructive than the old orange ones. I do recall reading that the old gaskets helped the top end or something along those lines, but are they necessary when I'm not using K400 anymore? The horn path is much more open with the new gaskets. I'm wondering if anyone has compared? Thanks!

Edited by absolve2525

I did this to get a perfect fit from my K55-v's to the EV adaptor. Makes the standard rubber gasket obsolete.

Edit; don't recall beeing able to hear any difference, but I just wanted a perfect transition from driver to adaptor anyhow.

post-33317-0-73980000-1408384010_thumb.j

post-33317-0-61460000-1408384020_thumb.j

post-33317-0-96020000-1408384038_thumb.j

Edited by nico boom

the gasket is there to provide some tension between the two parts to help keep the fitting tightly together it is also they make sure that that is no gap between the two parts. The driver should be snug but not so much as to distort the gasket. Over tightening the driver will force the gasket to bulge and that will cause a bump or ridge between the driver and the horn (or adapter). You don't want that to happen, you want the transition from one part to the other to be smooth and seamless so there are no irregularities along the surface of the sidewall. Some folks install the gasket and then trim off any bulging with a razor knife but this is only possible if you can physically and easily reach the gasket with a knife blade. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

This idea of making a better air-tight and seamless connection came after mounting the K55-v to the EV adaptor for the HR-90 horn [1.5 inch throat] which I put in my La Scala's.

I noticed the standard gaskets were not perfectly centered, created a imperfection in the rise of diametre of the conical adaptor plus they were visible when looking at the speakers.

After removal of the front pieces of the drivers, it was quite easy to machine the correct shape into the aluminium "nose" and have the solution I wanted.

I also centered out- and machined the inside of the K55's  "nose" to the exact size of the adaptor.

Having polished the inside of both K55 and adaptor, plus removing the mesh out of the K55's they also look very nice now. [bonus] ;)

Edit; a standard rubber 0-ring of the correct size serves very well, no fancy materials used here.

Edited by nico boom