Anybody got an opinion on edgarhorns?

just wondering...(don't throw stuff, ok?)

i've got heresey's and sw 10s...a friend has some la scalas which i always have liked.

i always planned on getting some scalas, but started trying to figure out exactly where i was going to put 'em...

those edgars look pretty damn good...but i've never heard any... the k-horn bass bin for a sub is interesting.

anybody?

******** these are what i was looking at ************

edgar.jpg

thanks

Dan---I heard Edgar's top system, the Titan, recently and I never heard a better speaker, this thing is far better IMO than any Klipsh. Edgar supports both those who want turnkey speakers and those who want to do the DIY thing. He supplies several models of tractrix mid-high horns, both rectangular and "saladbowl", you buy the horns and use your own drivers. I sometimes use JBL drivers on Edgar saladbowls. He also supplies straight basshorns for use down to 80hz, again you supply the drivers, usually used are EV 15Ls, JBL 2205s and Altec 515Bs. These horns are unfinished and VERY reasonabley priced. Edgar makes a large folded horn sub that goes doen to 35hz and about 20 with EQ called the Seismic that sounds more lifelike than any sub I've heard. In unfinished kit form this sub is only $1000, an incredible deal. The file is a picture of Bruce taken at the Lima hornfest, the large enclosure on the left is the Seismic.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 07-25-2002 at 09:51 PM

Dan,

I have had the good fortune of being at Dr. Edgar's shop a few times. He even helped me replace the diaphragms in my Cornwalls. His speakers are as fantastic as he is a wonderful guy. His basshorn is not to be believed. The Slimlines compete well with any Klipsch speaker I've heard. I hope to have a pair of his Titans in my next home. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Chris

------------------

click below to see my rig

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/2235.html

thanks for the input, gentlemen....

in looking at the Titan, it strikes me that Dr. Edgar has integrated into a single cabinet the basic array of 3 direct radiating horns seen in the System 100 in my original post.

the only photos of these direct radiators i've seen are the ones at the Vintage Audio Traders site and at Michael Christ's website. i'm pretty sure these are the same ones in both locations. i'm not sure who actually owns them. do you guys think M.Christ got some mdf cabs from edgar and veneered them? has anybody heard those models?

TBrennan-- how are you using the 'salad bowls' (what's your low pass/high pass for the input, and are you keeping them 'free floating' or mounted on something)?

where is a good place to find upcoming 'horn fests', shows, demos, etc?

thanks again...

Love that bowl mounting system. Reminds me of when I had a 65 Chevy Pickup with tweeters mounted in leather. The local small town stereo dealer was really impressed when I told him I had mounted his big buck tweeters in leather, until he spotted my truck parked on the street with the tweeters neatly esconced in well used leather gloves crammed into the corners of the dash. Completely burst his bubble.

Tom

Tom---Well sometimes you have to use what comes to hand. :-) I change horns and drivers often and if I drilled mounting holes each time soon my pretty 825s would look like a Swiss Cheese. I find paperback books give a softer tone than hardcovers and that history and Shakespeare give more weight to the sound than trashy novels do. :-)

I'll bet you get a much wider and deeper soundstage if you use those big coffee table art books and a lighter, airy sound with romance novels, but medical textbooks give a sterile, antiseptic presentation. Engineering textbooks give a dry, flat effect similar to modern Solid State technology, while historical novels give rich, highly detailed sound that goes right with a quality vintage tube amp. Amazing the way these things work, isn't it? Wink.gif

Tom