Suggestion for another receiver

BBB

I am trying to find a back up for my Onkyo TX-DS 989 receiver.

The Onkyo 989 has 9 pre amp outs total. Two are subwoofer preouts .

And 7 amp channels. I only use the onkyo internal amps for the 2 rear surround speakers.

The rest of the amplification is handled by external amps using the preouts.

The 9 preouts are :

1) Front right speaker

2) Front left speaker

3) Center speaker

4) Surround right speaker

5) Surround left speaker

6) Surround back right speaker ( powered by onkyo)

7) Surround back left speaker (powered by onkyo)

8) Subwoofer #1

9) Subwoofer #2

I am looking for something that will handle this configuration while my 989 is being updated but also would like something as an inexpensive replacement in anticipation of a potential fiasco during the entire upgrade process.

Is there a unit out there that I could use that might fit the bill short of getting another 989? Ill miss my 2 rear surrounds if I loose it. I also may have an impedence problem if I split a single (6th) rear channel to my 2 RF-5s Im using but I could use just one. The new ultra 2 THX EX is supposed to incorporate 2 rear surrounds in the system. Im using them both now and the Onkyo splits them up between the surrounds in DD5.1 and shares the DTS matrix and discrete between the 2 rears. I also would need only one Sub preout. In other words a 7.1 receiver that I can power the rears in some way and has DTS -ES and THX EX . Is there such an animal I could purchase without claiming bankruptcy ? Any ideas ? Or am I just spoiled . LOL .

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Thanks AF. Outlaw is now on the list. Any others?

I can afford alot more than 500 dollars if it does the job. I like Outlaw . I have some of their stuff.

I'd like to get a B&K AVR307 one of these days. I tried once but there was some confusion with B&K communication at the time. Maybe I can get one for a promise and a handshake LOL. I may go on the Spot and ask some of my friends over their also.Any one else have an idea before I burn some more plastic ?

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

BeezleBuB-

The Denon 3802 has the 8 pre-outs you need, and is 1k at goodguys. No THX certification though, and 110wpc at 8ohms (as opposed to your 130). Unauthorized dealers are cheaper, but they seem to be having an availability problem (or at least they were when I was looking). User's manual is available at the denon web-site.

How about this. I get my hands on a 3802. I leave everything I have hooked up to the external amp.

Left front, Right Front, Center(which is Biamped),

Left surround and Right surround and hook them up to the denon preouts. THEN I take the left and right back surround channels preouts of the denon back into the ex.ins or amp ins of the denon in Left front and Right front and monitor the sound through the front Left and Right channels on the 3802 to the rear surrounds. What do you think ? Is that crazy or what ? cwm24.gif

I had to edit . I have five other things going on right now and I may still not be saying what i mean.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

This message has been edited by BBB on 07-26-2002 at 08:10 PM

BBB, I believe what you want to do can be done with a Denon 3802. Like Cluless said, the user's guide is available for download in PDF format on Denon's website. That is the best way to check if the reciever will do exactly what you want.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Yes I understand about the manual .The reason I have been asking so many questions is that I have had a devil of a time downloaing anything from the denon site

over the last 3 years. I've downloaded manuals from other manufacturers but denon always gives me trouble.For instance I downloaded the Outlaw 1050 manual without a hitch yesterday.I have my Onkyo manuals. I checked my latest version of acrobat,5.05 and it's working. I don't know. I'm working on alot of different angles to this situation anyway. Thanks for the help.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

BBB-

Did you try to download the manual?, or just read it online. I was able to download it over a 56K modem, it was SLOOOOWWW, but it finished in about 10 minutes YAWN. If you still can't get it by monday, and still want it, you can set up a free- no personal info required, e-mail account at yahoo.com, and I can try e-mailing it to you. It might be easier to get from a different server (different routing). I tried to zip it to upload to the bulletin board, but it was 3 Meg before, and err...about 3 Meg after. BTW- the manual sorta sucks.

Yea clu I read part of it but did not save it. It doesn't totally download or something. I don't understand comps anyway.Some things I do well .Anything with a keyboard is a curse for me. My comp crashed 3 times.And the one I had at work got cooked so many times it's on the lunch menu at one of those silicon valley outfits.Thanks for trying.I appreciate it.I'm going to try a few different things.

We'll see. cwm35.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

BBB-

If you are reading online, it only downloads a couple of pages at a time to cache, and then goes to get more as you page, and it won't really ever save anything to disk.

Try this, when you get to the product page, RIGHT click on the icon for the pdf file. A menu will be displayed, and select Save Target as.. (or something similar).

You can then select the location on your hard drive for the download. It takes a while. Since my lovely ISP (AOL) will log me off for inactivity (and downloads are considered inactivity) , I occaisionally hit one of the GUI buttons for AOL just to fake it out.

Since I know nothing about hooking up multiple amps, and your wiring discussion got me totally tangled up, I can't really look at my manual to try to figure anything out.

Good luck

Yes Clu.I can understand anyone having trouble with what I am trying to explain when it comes to wiring some of my equipment.I leave out too much because my typing stinks. What's on the brain doesn't always get tranferred properly to words.I was going to get one of those speak and type things but I read it needs a pentium processor.I have an Athlon.If you saw the spaghetti nightmare of wires I have going to and from all the different pieces of equipment I have you'd freakout.I am careful. The astonishing thing is that I can crank all this stuff up well above reference levels and still hear a pin drop. No hums ,buzzes, ground problems . YET ! Quiet as a hirchmouse.Go figure.cwm2.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

bbb-

don't bother with the voice recognition stuff, I don't think that in your case or mine it would work very well. LOL. Athlon, isn't that an insecticide?

As far as wiring goes, I am probably the only person on the planet that fried a dimmer switch by changing a lightbulb. Hey It was way over my head, and I didnt realize that the socket and bulb sizes were different.

Dimmer switches. That's childs play. Down at the shore Madame Marie's crystal ball started smoking when she attempted to read my future.Man o man . Those gypsies can get ticked when you mess with their gear.icon98.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

I agree with cluless regarding voice recognition software but AKA regarding Athlon vs. Pentium:

When a software maker specifies a Pentium processor as part of the requirements to use a software package the maker is 99.9 times out of 100 referring to the processing capabilities of the processor and not the make of the processor.

For all intents and purposes an Athlon xxxMhz and a Pentium III xxxMhz can be considered equivalent with the exception that the Athlons generally are somewhat faster in actual processing speed than the equivalently clocked P3 - This anomaly has to do with the internal design architecture of the competing processors.

For a time Intel's P4s were faster than their Athlon counterparts but with the release of the Athlon XP the race is on once again. From the point of view of the user the choice depends on price,usage and source of supply.

Business users lean toward the Intel for various reasons - not least because the major "business/corporate computer" suppliers IBM and Hewlett Packard/Compaq are heavily commited to the Intel processor.

I would suggest that private users look at the Athlon/Athlon XP because they are higher performing,totally compatible and lower cost. That said some users may be more comfortable with the Intel and if so - they will be buying a superb PCU. On occasion one may even find a P4 based PC on sale for less than its Athlon XP equivalent.

In summary I suggest that the choice between a P4 and an Athlon XP is like the choice between an Blue Rolls Royce and a Green Rolls Royce as offered with "A degree of consideration to a discerning gentleman who is prepared to accept immediate delivery." (quoted from an advertisement I once saw in a British magazine) - Rolls Royce automobiles are never advertised as "On Sale" after all - SNIFF - Bloody Colonials!! 8~)>

Software makers would be more helpful to users to specify that their software required the PC to have a Pentium Class CPU or alternatively a Pentium or Athlon CPU.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 07-28-2002 at 09:39 PM

Thanks lynnm . I assumed it was just a statement as an example of a processor with a pentium II capabilities. I'm not up on comp stuff but I read Athlon makes some great gear just not as popular as the pentium name.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>