Klipschorns with AK3, simple mods.

jwgorman

So my '98 khorns have only hadsuper easy mods done to them, I removed the coil and the cap in parallel with the tweeter when recapping the crossovers (did this to the original xovers back in '98 btw) and I removed the K55ms and stuck in the atlas alnico PD-5VHs, and when I was in there I soldered the leads to the drivers.

I was geting some funky imaging and realised one of the tweeter leads was intermittently failing as the wire had come loose from the connector. I soldered those leads up as well. I heat sinked the connection tabs on the drivers before soldering, not sure if that was necessary.  

Taking out the coil/cap in parallel with the tweet was sort of a subtle thing, not night and day by any means, but I prefer this filter out. The atlas driver to my ear anyway, sounds a lot better than the K55m. The tonal balance seems a lot less mid-centric, if that makes sense. Seems a bit smoother, maybe a db or two down from the K55m? or maybe I just really prefer the tone of the Atlas driver?

Anyway, I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the Luxman SQ38U and spin some vinyl this past weekend. I think it's all good. Khorns rule :)

Edited by jwgorman

Good for you! After working on your setup, wether components or speakers, it's good to relax and enjoy..... I also like to experiment a bit and listen for the difference, if any. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I go back right away, but when it sounds and feels good I just leave it that way for a few weeks and turn back once more to compare.

For others this might seem silly, but I find it enjoyable and educational ;)

Enjoy your Khorns!

The K-55M is about 1.5db hotter than the K-55V equivalent.  Also if you are not already aware the other half of the AK-3 crossover is inside the woofer input door.  There are two 50uf caps and a 5mh coil in there I believe.  If you prefer the K-55V the one Klipsch used from '81 - '83 with the solder terminals and dual phase plugs is the best one to use.