When is a Heritage not a Heritage?

jimjimbo

Probably been asked before, but pretty hard to search on something like this....

Anyway, I'm asking this for really no other reason other than just general knowledge, and hopefully others on the forum will benefit from the knowledge, opinions, and experience of other folks here.  Simply for the sake of conversation and knowledge....nothing else....

And, by the way, "We" doesn't mean everyone.....but.....

"We" seem to have no problems replacing capacitors, or entire crossovers, and in fact, make sure that it is made clear that this is the case when posting speakers for sale...

"We" seem to have no problems replacing tweeter and mid diaphragms, and in fact.....same as above....

"We" seem to have no problems having woofers re-coned, or fully replaced, and in fact....same as above....

So, given the above, I have to ask, does this mean that as long as the cabinet is "original" or close to original, that the speaker is still a Heritage speaker?  (kind of seems like that... to me...)

I think we can all agree that components (including capacitors, diaphragms, surrounds, etc) will all feel their age after 30 years or so.  Nothing on these speakers is manufactured to last forever....

So, in addition to the questions above, does it make sense to say "I wouldn't buy" anything other than a pair of speakers with anything other than all original parts?

Maybe I should restate that....Would you hesitate to purchase anything other than all original, or mostly welcome the fact that the owner had the knowledge and foresight to replace what may have been needed to be replaced?

I'm just sayin'....!!

Edited by jimjimbo

Seems like a very broad question(s) and there's several ways to go with this. I personally feel that going with non stock parts you are changing it from the original design (good or bad) but if you replace aging parts with new ones designed as direct replacements whether OEM or not you still end up with the same just "refreshed" speaker. I would think, depending on the buyer of course, new parts would add value to a speaker overall but in rare cases one might want to revert them back to stock and most driver and crossover changes can be changed back. I would think that only a person interested in modified speakers would buy modified speakers as the price would more than likely be a bit more, in some cases a lot more than a stock set.

Fact is times change, technology advances and some parts either become more readily available or more affordable than they might of been. I've seen some of Bob Carver's refurbished tube amps on eBay and in his description he says things like the original designer could of only dreamed of such changes as they just weren't possible back in the day.

There's also the cost factor. If Klipsch used the cost no object in all their speaker designs there would be a much smaller group of people enjoying music through Klipsch speakers. My 2 cents anyway.