Pioneer / TAD S-1EX Speakers

tigerwoodKhorns

TAD / Pioneer S1-EX Speakers

Stereophile A rated floor standing speakers.  These were designed by Andrew Jones of TAD to be a more affordable version of the TAD's very high end product (with a price tag of $12,000 instead of $70,000).  The S-1ex are the top of the line in this series and received an A rating from Stereophile.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/307piosex/

They utilize a coaxial Beryllium tweeter and Magnesium coated midrange cone that image like a single driver speaker (but without the compromises of a single driver such as extnesion).  I had a pair of single driver speakers and the imaging was similar, but they just did not have the extension and had coloratiosn that are not present in the TADs. 

The coaxial driver is combined with dual carbon fiber woofers in a cabinet that ranges from 1.25" thick to 3" thick (and is quite inert).  I replaced a pair of B&W Signature 800's (B&W's TOTL) with these speakers and it was a move up in my opinion.  The imaging is better with the TADs and they can easily be driven by a 200 wpc amp rather than 500+ watts are required by the power hungry B&Ws.  One Japanese audio magazine also rated the S-1ex's higher than the B&W 800s.

The speakers are in fantastic shape with no flaws that I can locate.  They also come with 2 sets of grills.  Local pick up in Las Vegas Nevada. 

The price is $5,250. 

Here are some links to reviews:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pioneer+S1-ex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=Pioneer+S1-ex+review&revid=276141946&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

post-8757-0-77840000-1412080261_thumb.jp