Sad Day For Klipsch, Good Day For Me!!

DillonW

I had to take my daughter to the Airport in Albuquerque (a four hour drive), but always look forward to the opportunity to check out the new Klipsch products at Sound Ideas when I'm in town. We had to leave at 1:00AM to get her there in time for her 6:15AM departure time. I figured Id take the Suburban so I could climb in the back and sleep for a few hours after she was in the air so I tossed a couple pillows and a comforter in the back. We made it to the airport and my daughter left without a hitch. I found a McDonalds with some nice shade trees and grabbed a nap. I woke up a couple hours later and headed to Sound Ideas. When I arrived, I was a little dismayed to see there were no Klipsch surround systems set up. I was soon approached by a salesman, and asked to see the new Klipsch line. (I know I'm behind the times, but I was out of the country for a few months after they came out) Anyway, he apologetically informed me that they didnt carry any, and all remaining Klipsch pieces were currently being liquidated, they had no intention of ordering more. Needless to say I was a little shocked by this statement. He said the speaker market was very competitive, and that they con considered Klipsch a good speaker, build quality was not what it used to be, and as a store they felt some other companies had a lot to offer. This build quality statement is one that I've heard mentioned many times on this board, and it stirs various responses including some "excuse making." The excuses may have some merit, but when stores begin removing Klipsch products from the shelves, someone better stand up and pay attention. Sacrificing quality to reduce cost and increase market share is a proven theory, unfortunately its proven to be disastrous. You may gain some new customers, but you may also begin to alienate the loyal fans. I would prefer a company reduce profit margins, and hope to make up the difference by increased sales. I don't like hearing "cheap cabinets" associated with Klipsch. I went there to hear and see some of the new Klipsch products for myself; unfortunately I did not get the chance. But......... I informed the salesman that although I was hoping to see the new line, I was actually a big Heritage fan. He replied that someone had traded in an old pair of Klipsch speakers, a set of maple Belles. Now I have wanted a set of Belles for as long as I can remember. (Yes, the K-Horns would be my first choice, but my house doesnt have a single corner available) It must have been destiny that I had a truck that could carry them, and all necessary cushioning material for the journey home. He brought in a receiver so I was able to demo them, sweet sound to my ears! He stated a price, I made a counter offer. Suffice it to say, the twins rode quietly in the back as I smiled all the way home.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Intresting story Bill.

Wonderful outcome.

Talk about the right place at the right time.

Chalk it up to an intervention of fate.

Or at least, damn good luck.

Enjoy those babies.

For like many of a generation past have said,

"They don't make em' like they used to"

Although, I think it's technically referred to as EVOLUTIONARY ADVANCEMENTS.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

nice! how much, if you dont mind me asking. destiny Smile.gif what did the wife say? you may want to play the lotto tonight Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

I got them out-the-door for an even thousand. I don't think my wife will let me make any more lone trips to Albuquerque. They are BIG. I have La Scalas up front and the Belles will replace my Chorus IIs in the rear. I am curious as to the build date, the serial numbers are 4y964 & 4y965. I was told the mid-horn was plastic, but when I got it home and looked closely, it is cast. They don't exactly fit nicely in the space I have available, but I could not pass them up. They are in great shape, but there is some damage to the 1/2" veneer strip under the mid horn. I will try find some veneer to replace that strip on both of them.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Congratulations on your find DillonW! Your Belles are from 1983.

If you ever think about parting with the Belles (WAF and all) please give me a shout. I have a pair of '77 maple Heresy's that are looking for some matching Heritage speakers (K-horns, Belles, LaScalas or Cornwalls).

Thanks for the MFG date Guys! They dwarf the Chorus IIs that they replace, makes things just a bit crowded in the living room. Anyone know where I can get walnut veneer to fix the 1/2" strip in the front?

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Lucky you!!!

Yeah, I would have loved to see the look on her face when you got the flat bed cart and engine hoist out...Smile.gif

I have the PERFECT spot of any of the Heritage stuff. A FULL 15' wall with tons of room. It has some cheap Fisher's in it now, but someday...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!