Pls HELP!!! DVD on widescreen!!??? pls help!!!!

sesquim

hi all! I just rented a dvd movie called "the time machine" and the previews really look good. but when I watch it on my tv its in widescreen mode!!! like thers a huge black line in the bottom and top of the screen!!! and I looked at my dvd manual and so I set it to 4:3 but nothing then "full" mode but still the same!!! and I ever tried the wide screen 16:3 but still the same!!!! Can someone pls help me! ASAP... Did anyone else watch the movie "time machine" ? and is it the movie itself? so I cant change it? I dont think so .. cuz not everyone has widescreen tv..

thanks!

------------------

»®»ŦħĄňķŜ«®«

»®»Life Is Góód«®«

»®»Its All Gööd«®«

that has a Widescreen anamorphic format, so tell the dvd player to do 4:3 and your tv if you can (the xbr sony's can Smile.gif) to do that and tell the dvd menu if it has an option like that to do 4:3.

other than that I don't know. Even with my 16:9 HDTV i get black bars sometimes and i hate that! why do i get the bars when i have a 16:9 tv?!

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

oh thanks justin! ya that sucks.. I hate those bars.. And ya i like the sound too! next i'm getting behind enemy lines for vhs! hehe.. i like vhs better... picture is almost the same.. and the sound is much louder.. for me.. cuz i connect my ps2 to the vcr and vcr connected to tv.. cuz my tv doesnt have those 3input things..

thanks for ur help.

------------------

»®»ŦħĄňķŜ«®«

»®»Life Is Góód«®«

»®»Its All Gööd«®«

You may hate those bars but that is how the movie was recorded. I would rather see it how the director intended (with the bars) versus lopping off the sides. I no longer have that problem because I now have a wide screen, but on the 235:1 movies I still get bars on the top and bottom... doesn't bother me anymore...

Mike

You still get black bars because there are different aspect ratios. 16:9 is just a simple acronym for widescreen. I believe the ratios actually are anywhere from 1.85 to 2.35 :1. Something like that anyways.

-ScottWavey.gif

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

Academy Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

k, thanks all u KoOL people for the replyS! ya those morlock r scary! espcially when ther run or chase after u!!!! I dont want one of those things going after me! they jump high too!

------------------

»®»ŦħĄňķŜ«®«

»®»Life Is Góód«®«

»®»Its All Gööd«®«

nice link bbb!i chose 4:3 for both my hd sony 36"tv and my 84" screen, because even though i get as many dvds in widescreen as possible, and i get widescreen on my hd sat channels, STILL over half of what is displayed on my screen/tv is 4:3, and i don't like 'morphing' the 4:3 into 16:9, whereas the horizontal black bands don't bother me.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I agree with Mike on this one. I would much rather see the movie as the director intended and in the orginal aspect ratio (OAR) than a pan and scam version. Think of it this way guys

OAR and black bars = Klipsch

4:3 presentation of 2.35 and 1.85 = Bose

You are just not seeing the whole picture.

Justin the reason that you are seeing black bars even on a widescreen set is that some movies (like Star Wars) are filmed at 2.35 to 1 which is even wider then your 1.78 to 1 widescreen TV. This is why you will still get black bars. Take a look at the DVD and you will see the different aspect ratios listed.

Remember black bars are not evil. I repeat black bars are not evil. They are a good thing and let you see the entire picture not some cropped up Bose like version.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 07-30-2002 at 07:17 PM

Black bars can be a bad thing. If you watch a majority of your programs with the black bars, these can burn into your screen. Meaning that the image on the top and bottom of your screen could wind up being darker than the rest of the image.

-Scott

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

Academy Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

Thanks, eq! I meant 2.35:1 when I said 235:1.

I have a 16:9 TV and I never watch anything 4:3 any longer... not even the news. My TV has 4 modes (Normal, Full, Fill and Smooth Wide), and it uses Full when watching DVD's and Smooth Wide when watching cable broadcasts. The Smooth Wide feature takes the 4:3 picture and fills the 16:9 screen without making it look unnatural (at least to my eyes). The only problem with this is it's tough to read the scores at the bottom of the screen during ESPN broadcasts. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems