H.H. Scott 342 Stereomaster (1967)

Rick J B

Finally decided to hook the old war horse up and see what she sounds like. Dang, have only listened for about 2 hours, but hey, she sounds quite nice. Much better than I would have guessed, especially considering I was worried it might blow up when I turned it on.  :o  :lol:

Anyway, its over here in the corner amongst the boneyard with a cheap DVD player going through it playing on the little Klipsch SB-1 book shelf speaks.

I hate to say it, but this sounds sweeter and more musical than the big Sansui and Marantz receivers I've picked up recently. Not near as much power, but really nice on the ears. B)  Thus far I've played some Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

h_h_scott_ect_005.jpg

I own their FM tuner from this era, the much ignored and underrated 312D. I love old pre 1973 HH Scott gear in general. 

Yes, their tuners in those days were very good. This was sort of a problem because they insisted on sticking the same one in most products regardless of price point. It really hurt the profitability of a lot of their receivers. That and styling issues and poor marketing led to the companies demise in 1973.

Damn shame, they made great gear.