No idea what system would be best for my room. Can anyone help?

vince321

Besides, Khorns sit in the corner, not out in the middle of the room. Big and Square? Sure, but they have practically zero footprint. Otherwise look for used LaScala and Belles for a few hundred. Listen to what real music sounds like. 

BTW, real voices and instruments are NOT only 50-Hz. It is much lower. Humans can hear down to 20-Hz (which takes a lot of energy). We can FEEL as low as just five cycles per second (Hz), which takes even more energy. CDs have “musical” things happening below 40-Hz, no matter what the subject matter! Using the Real Time Analyzer in my Behringer DEQ2496 UltraCurve Pro equalizer, let me tell you, even the human voice has HARMONICS that extend below 40-Hz.

Rock/popular music certainly does get below 40Hz, unless there is no kick drum, saxophone, bass guitar or piano! In fact, 40-Hz is the low string on the bass guitar, which means there certainly are HARMONICS lower than the initial 40-Hz note. The kick drum itself makes a low 30-Hz note, which can reach momentary peaks of 120-dB! That alone should indicate the need for very big, very deep and very powerful sub-woofers to replicate live music realistically.  

The key is to seek accuracy and flat frequency response in the hyper-critical range (100 to 13-kHz) FIRST, as much as possible, before reaching for those low notes. But a system that ignores the high-energy bass and low-end never sounds real.  

Edited by Colin
  • Like 1

In fact, 40-Hz is the low string on the bass guitar, which means there certainly are HARMONICS lower than the initial 40-Hz note.

On 5-string basses, the low B is 30 hz.  However, it is interesting to note that most harmonics are higher than that.  If the lowest stuff was what was important on a bass guitar, bass cabinets would be made with subwoofers.  They aren't.  You'd do better with a full range PA speaker.  For example, the most popular bass cabinet out there is an Ampeg 8x10.  The frequency response at -3 db is only 58 hz.  It is -10 db down at 40 hz.  Having subwoofers so that you can hear a bass guitar is not the way to go about it in my opinion.  This setup would be the most horrible subwoofer ever so I have a hard time telling people they need a subwoofer to reproduce what comes out of it.  If the slamming low frequencies of a bass guitar is what people are after, I think the mains ought to be beefy enough to reproduce the bass guitars or else it will sound mushy with that material trying to be fed through the sub.

I happen to play bass, and have ran my rig into six Yamaha 18" subs powered by 4,000 watts. My guitar at the time was a custom that had an extra pickup added specifically for picking up super low frequencies. The end result was that I could hit that low B in our practice room and I literally split some drywall in half, dust and bugs started falling out of the ceiling. It sounded horrible too. It was fun but short of trying to play a rap song, it was pretty useless with all the emphasis down low like that. Normal bass guitar just isn't like that, I had to go way out of my way to get a strong subwoofer friendly sound and even then it didn't work with rock. I'm sure there is material that comes through the subs but it seems that lots of people think that the sub is the main driver for bass guitar, and I don't agree that it should be like that.

The kick drum itself makes a low 30-Hz note

This is probably true, but that's not what is boosted to get that rock sound. Most if it is 80-100 hz. If you want that low gut-wrenching feel it in your chest kick drum, you boost 60 hz, not 30. The actual attack from the beater on the skin is way higher than that, way up into tweeter territory, 2,000-4,000 stuff. If you built a sub that only worked well at 30 hz it would sound like doo-doo with kick drums. The important stuff is higher.

Regardless of the details, I do agree that you need a strong sub though. Nitpicking the details for fun doesn't change that.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters