Useful update for Thorens TD124 owners

Charles Turner

I hope you find this information useful.  On ebay, if you search for "Thorens gaskets" you will find a listing for a thrust pad and gasket for $7.00,  I believe shipping is $2.00 and it comes in about a week in a regular envelope.  Multiple orders can be combined for the $2.00.

I recently ordered one of these and installed it on my spindle bearing.  The thrust bearing looks to be the identical material as more expensive vendors and the paper gasket is an oversized square that you punch holes thru and then trim to size with a xacto knife after you screw in the cover plate.  The thrust bearing is slightly oversized and I found a dremel tool grinder used gently around the edge of the thrust bearing makes it fit perfectly in the bearing recess.  I have always used a small amount of silicon gasket applied with a toothpick around the inner lip of the paper gasket.  This makes a great seal and is easily removed when changing the gasket.  I also use Mobil 1 rather than the expensive Thorens oil. 

Net, net for less than $7 you can change the oil, thrust pad, and gasket every year or so...and $10 is a lot less than the $50 I paid before.  I ordered five more to keep for future use.