What would you recommend for surround sound speakers?

gnorthern

What would you recommend for surround sound speakers?

We are building a new house, and the great room is 17 by 17.  It empties back into a dining area and a kitchen for a total dimension of 34 by 17.  The television and stereo speakers would go against the far wall so we can see and listen to it from anywhere in the great room, dining area or the kitchen.  Our heads would be about 16 feet from the wall with our narrow recliners separated by a one foot wide table.

My wife and I agreed that the RF 82 II tower speakers, the SW-112 Subwoofer and the RC-62 II Center Speaker were good price points for speakers.  My wife and I agreed that we could spend around +- $350 per surround speaker, and the local dealer discounts speakers 15-20% so up to list price of about $450.  Oddly she agreed that it did not matter if I put in two or four surround sound speakers, if four would substantially make the sound directional like a movie theatre.

One catch.  I can only put two speakers on the wall.  Two more would need to go in the ceiling, and my wife would prefer no speakers on the wall.  Despite everything that I read about the superiority of wall speakers, Dolby Atmos seems like it would work well with ceiling speakers.  I know that Dolby Atmos content is years away, but I am planning for the future.

I see the following options, and am open to others:

1. Two wall and two ceiling speakers, with the wall speakers opposite our heads and the ceiling speakers behind our heads.

2.  Four ceiling speakers arranged like above.

3.  I try to talk my wife into spending more money per speaker but only buy two surround sound speakers.

4.  Save money and go 5.1 either on the walls or ceiling (my wife's preference).

Let me know what you think and thank you in advance for your answers.

Edited by gnorthern

If you're interested in Atmos, technically the ideal recommendation is to use the same speakers as your mains, at the same height, not higher up.  At CEDIA this year the Dolby folks were saying to run them full range and they were going to be pushing a bunch of air through them.  Of course nothing is idea so compromise however you feel necessary just like everybody else does.  :) 

first off i would call mike at acoustic sound design as he will give more than 20% off and you will get free shipping and no tax. then take that additionally saved money and put it towards a better subwoofer. if you are dead set on klipsch go with one of the new r-115's. metro says they are awesome! i can't tell you the se-112 is terrible. i owned a few of them. if you can get away from klipsch you can look maybe an svs or psa subwoofer. I'm a fan of svs and they have a great warranty and awesome customer service. something lie a pb-2000 or maybe the new pc-2000 will fit your floor plan better? 

as for surrounds you can get the rs-52 for 650 i believe. that is the only option i would choose. I'm not a fan of in wall or in ceiling unless you absolutely have to. 

I'd take a better 5.1 than a lesser 7.1. That make sense? If you budget is 700 I would get the pair of rs-52ii over four in ceiling surrounds. A properly setup 5.1 setup will provide a fantastic experience all day long. I really think people that design this stuff are getting greedy with all this heights and wides and now atmos. I mean come on? 11.1.4. So I gotta have 16 speakers in my room now? Lol. No thanks. My 7 cinema speakers and four subs is waayyyy more than enough.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Personally I think Atmos is designed for larger venues anyway. The smaller the room the fewer the speakers you should have, IMO. Surround speakers are designed to diffuse the sound to make it seem like it is coming from multiple directions. If you are planning on using a 7.1, then use ceilings as rears, and surround bi-poles as side surrounds.

If you use ceiling speakers as rears, you will get that annoying rear surround in your dining room and kitchen. Not sure if that would be too pleasing, as rear surround is generally filler noise.