Build Box for In-Wall Center Speaker?

twk123

I am looking to replace my old and cheap JBL center speaker and finally complete the whole HT with all Klipsch but am working with a budget. I noticed in our local classifieds that someone is selling a Klipsch R-2502-W II for $50 and I can probably talk him down quite a bit as I doubt anyone is going to buy soon. It will be matched with my KG 5.5s and KSB 1.1s for surround. Anyway, I dont want to put it in my wall as I am renting but can I build a box for this speaker and use it as a bookshelf center?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31861833&cat=&lpid=1&search=klipsch%20center&ad_cid=4

There are some other Klipsch center speakers for sale as well but the specs for this looks better if I can make the project work.

It is nice to experiment and be parsimonious.

But there will be some expense in time and money building a box, and then you'll have somewhat of a kludge.

So I'd suggest finding some complete Klipsch speaker to use.

WMcD

I use a KG-2.5 between two KG-4.2's, and am very happy with it. The 5.5 uses a Tractrix horn and the lower KG's all use exponential horns. That is why I thought of the RS-62 II. It is Tractrix like the 5.5. There is also the matter of efficiency. The 2.5 is a 93db speaker that can rms 75 watts, whereas the KG5.5 is a 98db 100 watt speaker. The RC-62 II is also a 98db speaker.

There would be a timbre mismatch with either center, but I kinda figure anything except another KG-5.5 on it's side would be.

It's a tough nut...

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. Building the box looks like a lot of time and expense for something that may not even turn out. I saw an ad for a KV-2 for $80 and another Klipsch center that didnt have a model number for $40, I can probably reverse engineer what it is by a picture of the front though. How would the kv-1 or kv-2 work out? I usually only run music with 2 chanel direct so it will be movies and games only (The supercharged Chevelle in Forza 4 is insane with the KG's).

I could always get these and put them on their sides horns together in front of my TV. I am really suprised he has not sold them yet, the speaker market here must be really cold:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31883742&cat=&lpid=&search=klipsch%20kg%205.5&ad_cid=1

Thanks for the help guys. Building the box looks like a lot of time and expense for something that may not even turn out. I saw an ad for a KV-2 for $80 and another Klipsch center that didnt have a model number for $40, I can probably reverse engineer what it is by a picture of the front though. How would the kv-1 or kv-2 work out? I usually only run music with 2 chanel direct so it will be movies and games only (The supercharged Chevelle in Forza 4 is insane with the KG's).

I could always get these and put them on their sides horns together in front of my TV. I am really surprised he has not sold them yet, the speaker market here must be really cold:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31883742&cat=&lpid=&search=klipsch%20kg%205.5&ad_cid=1

I would highly recommend the KG-2.5 before the KV-2. I pointed you to a pair for $125 + 50 shipping.  That works out to about the same price per speaker as the KV-2 you mentioned. You might want to PM the Ebay seller and offer him $80 for a single KG-2.5 free shipping. Who knows, he may jump on it.

As for the 5.5 on it's side. That would be excellent! Your best option by far.  You do not want to use both of them as your front center. If you MUST use the second in your system, then have a rear center. In my shop, a 6.2 system is excellent. It all depends on the room.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a KG-2.5 between two KG-4.2's, and am very happy with it. The 5.5 uses a Tractrix horn and the lower KG's all use exponential horns. That is why I thought of the RS-62 II. It is Tractrix like the 5.5. There is also the matter of efficiency. The 2.5 is a 93db speaker that can rms 75 watts, whereas the KG5.5 is a 98db 100 watt speaker. The RC-62 II is also a 98db speaker.

There would be a timbre mismatch with either center, but I kinda figure anything except another KG-5.5 on it's side would be.

It's a tough nut...

Ok so buying a single KG 5.5 is pretty much out of the question although it would be a fun project someday. I did find a Klipsch KSC-C1 on Craigslist and based on your advice should have a pretty good match:

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ele/4719303810.html

It has a Tractrix horn, rated at 100W and is one of the most sensitive at 95db.

http://www.klipsch.com/ksc-c1/details

Its been on the market for about a month so I can probably talk him down.