My new type A crossover

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm satisfied W/the K-55's. Man!I use ten of them in my home theater. The Klipschorn and LaScala are just easy speakers to tweak, and also, once you fall in love with these horns you want to compare them to others. It's a never ending quest for the ultimate horn sound. I also believe that once your hooked on fully loaded horn speakers, you can never go back.

This darn board gives you alot of ideas to try, and once you start trying everything that you read, you end up with alot of spare parts and in my case speakers. You have to be into it or this would drive you nuts. It would be alot easier if we all lived near each other, then we wouldn't have to do as much experimenting.

So, if you want to take my word for it, the 288 is smother, more open and detailed. What do you expect for the cost and size. The darn thing weights 25 to 35 pounds and is the size of a bowling ball. It eats K-55's for breakfast. The sound difference is kind of like what you hear when changing networks. Say what Mike heard when I switched out the AL to the AL-3, and the ALK.

I also don't think that I'm getting the full potential out of the 288. Mine is the 288-16K, a 16 Ohm driver and I've been hooking it up to various Klipsch networks and the ALK, that are designed for 8 Ohm drivers. I just bought 8 Ohm diaphragms for the 288 and havn't tried them yet. I expect to hear an improvement with the correct match. I also bought a pair of Altec networks, the N8500-8A. It's an 8 Ohm network that can be set for eather a 500Hz. or 800Hz. crossover point. If I ever use the 288 driver and 805-B horn, it would probably be with my Jensen Imperial cabinets. Jensen used to cross this cabinet over at 600Hz.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q-man,

Have u evey heard a JBL 375 mid driver? This is suppose to be one of the sweetest mid drivers ever made. How did you settle on your Altec driver? There are so many?

Here is a pic of the 288: http://community-2.webtv.net/hornvox/VINTAGEAUDIOTRADERS/index.html

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

This message has been edited by trader on 08-04-2002 at 09:07 PM

There was a guy on this board about a year and a half ago that posted some pictures of his K-Horns. He took off the top horn section of the K-Horn and replaced it with the 288 and 805-B. He was also using the ALK network. He spoke highly of the sound improvement.

I ended up talking to him a bit and bought the Klipsch parts that he wasn't using anymore. Then I searched ebay untill I found the 288, because I decided to see what it sounded like.

I never heard the JBL-375. I do have a pair of JBL tweeters, the 2404H (baby cheeks). I picked these up to use with the 288 after I decided they need a tweeter to suit my taste.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Trader,

That speaker is the University Classic, built by Q-Man himself. I believe it has all University drivers, including the 4401 for the tweeter.

Without question, the Classic sounded better than the La Scala with the AL crossover. I'm sure it would have sounded better than a La Scala with a ALK but we never tested it. It was smoother, more detailed, more dynamic, had more punch and was a hell of a lot louder (more efficient). The tweeter however, stunk! The K-77 was much more natural sounding and clearer (imho)...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Trader,

I like the K77 tweeter the best. I bought the JBL's to give them a try. They are a pro model with a higher frequency rating and can handle 40 watts RMS with 105db sen. The magnet is about the size of the K-55.

The Altec 288 is rated at 30 watts.

Guy,

You are right, it was Mark. Now that I see the name, I remember it.

It's recomended that you crossover the 288 at 500Hz.

This was and is an issue that I had with Mark and AL.

AL said that it would work with his network, some- thing about that his network isn't fixed at 400HZ. That it allows the driver to set the crossover point.

AL you better step in here and help explain this. Mark and AL also said that the 288 is good to 400Hz., but the spec. sheet that I have says 500Hz.

This is why I bought the Altec networks.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

ED,

I built the Jensen Imperials, but they arn't loaded with the Jensen drivers. I never heard any of the Jensen drivers. On the other hand, the University Classic that I built is loaded with the correct University drivers. The Jensen drivers are hard to find and very expensive. The University stuff is cheap, it's like no one even knows what they are.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

So Q....what then DO you load your Imperial (cabinets?) with? University's? Maybe I'm thinking of a different beast, but I thought that the Imperial (Jensen) consisted of a 'boxy' looking cabinet with a single 15" Jensen Triaxial....the highly coveted G610. Do you use another Triax? Or 'separates'?

------------------

Ed

The Imperial cabinet came loaded two ways.

One way was with the triaxial.

The other way was as a three way.

Mine is loaded as a three way. I'm using all LaScala parts that were left over from when I changed out a LaScala pair to all new drivers. My reason here is that I want the sound to match my Klipschorns and LaScalas, because the Imperials are one pair of my rear surround speakers. The other pair are LaScalas that sit upside down on top of the Imperials. The shape of the Imperials is a lot like the Klipschorn, only a little larger, and too should be corned loaded.

Now there is another version of the Imperial that is designed to be free standing and still produce the same sound. That is the one I wanted to build, but the thing is huge. It looks like a 36" wide refigerator, and my LaScalas wouldn't fit on top of it without hitting the ceiling.

I may build that version someday if I ever build a new room. It would be handy to have a bass horn that can produce a true 35Hz.tone and doesn't need a corner.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man