Kenwood KR-9600 or McIntosh Mac4100 ?

yesmynameisking

Just picked up a Kenwood KR-9600 and I'm thinking of using it instead of my McIntoch Mac4100 to power woofers on Forte ii's in a bi-amp setup. I'll continue using a YAQIN CD2 6J1 Tube Buffer Processor with either solid state amp, and power the horn/tweeters with a Dynco ST 70.

The Kenwood puts out 160 wpc, and the McIntosh is only 75 wpc.

Before I unhook the Mcintosh, I'd like some opinions and feedback. I got really good deals on both receivers, so I could resell either at a profit.

Thanks,

Mike

post-58119-0-87400000-1417414671_thumb.j

That's really a tough call! The 4100 has really excellent sounding bass if it is right and ready. Most of them need new bias trim pots as they get dirty, and you have no bias. This is on every damn one I see through here, so if yours has not been touched, good chance it needs some servicing.

The KR-9600 is also prone to problems with the pre driver transistors on the amp boards. Other things as well, but if it is working and not noisy now, you should be ok.

If you are lacking power and getting distortion in the bass with the MAC, then the 9600 may be your cure. Just try both and see which is better for you.

McIntosh should be your main receiver of the two. All discrete transistor, still supported with parts, factory service, and support by McIntosh Laboratory. The Kenwood while very good, has the infamous IC output blocks and the failure prone pre driver transistors on the amp boards. In practice, the McIntosh can produce more power than rated in real life, as their build and engineering is conservative. And also, they just go better with Klipsch, especially Heritage and near Heritage. And will be great with your Forte II speakers. 

Edited by Kent T

Ending up hooking up my Heresy II's bi-amp'd using crossovers from Bob Crites to the Kenwood KR9600 (woofers) and Tube Pioneer SM-83 (horns/tweeters). Have not tried it with Forte's yet, but really like how the Heresy's sound. I tried the same biamp setup on the Heresy's with the Mac4100 and Pioneer SM-83, and I think like Kenwood better. Great find for $150. I was going to try to resell for profit, but love it too much to sell. Beautiful blue FM dial at night.