Tweeter Problems

I just bought a pair of K-horns and noticed that one of the tweeters is blown. I ordered 2 replacement diaphragms from EV for 24.00 a pair. They don't supply the paper casket so I had to be carefull not to ruin the one I had. Does anyone have any tips on what to do when u thrash the casket? After 40 years things don't come apart that easily. Anyway, the guy at EV said that each diaphragm has a positive and negative lead. When I asked how u determine whic is what he said that you put the diaphragm in the magnet recess and briefly hookup a 9 volt battery. I did this and I got a buzzing sound and when I reversed leads I got no sound at all. What was suppose to happen is that the diaphragm is suppose to move. If it moves up then the positive battery lead is on the positive diaphragm lead. When I called and told their tech guy that I was only getting a buzz I was told that I probably had an open diaphragm. Sure enough I put my ohm meter on the leads and it was open. I think I might have burned them out doing the 9 volt trick that the tech guy advised. Anyway, they were cool and said to send it back for a replacement. I wanted to know how I can find the positive lead without using the 9 volt battery trick? Also, he said to apply a little silicone under the leads to alleviate any buzzing I might get when the coil moves up. Because it will also move the leads which will make a buzzing noise. Another tip was not to pull the leads to tight. I also was wondering if I should replace both tweeters? The new diaphragm looks like the coil of wires is smaller and the material that it's made out of looks different. Has anyone did an A/B test once they replaced a new diaphragm compared to an older driver with a stock diaphragm?

Thanks for eveyone's help.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Crikey!!c>s>

He told you to put a 9 volt battery across a tweeter diaphragm ?? Sheesh!! - either he's nertz or you misunderstood what he meant.

You very likely already know this but - Just in case:

(-) = negative

(+) = positive

I would hesitate to use anything bigger than a watch battery or perhaps a hearing aid battery and even then only for an instant. Are the tweeter diaphragms totally unmarked? Is one of the wires red(+) or black(-). Look for a dot of red enamel(+) or black enamel(-) or possibly green(-). Also look for a + or - symbol near one of the contact points.

I am glad to hear that EV is coming to the party on this one because either their tech guy support cannot find his backside with both hands and a copy of Gray's Anatomy or he needs to learn better ways of explaining himself to customers.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

No. I definetely understood the tech guy. I didn't see any marking for positive and negative leads. I guess I burned out the diaphragms with the battery. Also, the diaphragm doesn't come with the gasket and on newer K-77 I was told that there is only one gasket but mine has two. One under the diaphragm and when on top. I decided to let a speaker shop do the repair because if the gasket width is not correct the coil will not sit in the recess properly and I'm not sure what the results will be.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

I replaced a pair before, and have a spare pair from

EV. for back-up. I just took a look at my spare pair and they have a red slash about 3/8" from one of the leads to indicate (+). Don't you have a red dot or something simular on them?

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q,

I might have had a red slash (I shipped them back) but u would think they would simply use a marker to mark each side either positive or negative. The tech guy never mention that the slash is closer to the positive lead or anything like that. Anyway, did you use your old gasket or were u able to locate a new gasket?

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Q,

When I pulled apart my tweeter the gaskets were melded together. I had to slice it apart but I didn't do a pristine job although I doubt anyone could have done a better job. After 45 years these things don't come apart that well. Did your gasket just fall out in two pieces or is one side of the assembly plastic so you only need a gasket for one side? I'm afraid that the gasket may be too thick and that the coil will not fit in the recess corretly. Anyway, how does his new tweeter sound compared to the old one with the stock diaphragm. I heard that QC is going downhill at EV.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

To tell you the truth, I don't remember. I did this about two or three years ago. The gaskets couldn't have been a problem, or I would remember that. Nothing presented a problem to me, the replacement was easy. The thing that I do remember is how thin the wire is on the originals, it's hair like. The replacements have much thicker wire leads and are easy to work with. As far as the sound, I don't believe there is any need for concern. They sounded good and matched my other tweeters. Shortly after fixing them I changed all my drivers to the "M" series. So they have been in a closet untill just recently when ShapeShifter took them. Ask him what he thinks of them.

I received more AL-3 networks from Klipsch yesterday, and I just finished changing out the AL network in my center channel LaScala. Since showing Mike the difference in the sound of some of the networks I was motivated again to continue to make all my speakers match.

Sorry that I wasn't more help.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

quote:

Originally posted by Q-Man:

So they have been in a closet untill just recently when ShapeShifter took them. Ask him what he thinks of them.

Q.

Trader, those are the ones I commented on during our email messages. Didn't I tell ya "Q" was the man!

They are in a pair of 85 Cornwall I's and they SOUND GREAT! Q's Alnico K-77's and the "B" Networks from my 71 Cornwalls, makes those 85 Corns a perfect sonic match for my other 70's Heritage speakers. The 85's are pulling surround duties with 76 Belle fronts. I'm thoroughly pleased with their sound. Many thanks to Q for parting with those jewels.

Matter of fact I'm passing on a great buy to a fellow member for my RF-3's and RC-3. Those fine speakers had been idle too long, time they had a new home and owner to lovingly use and care for them as I did.

My cup of good fortune has certainly ran over the past couple of years, time to let it spill its blessing to another.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-04-2002 at 12:01 AM