EL84 vs. EL34 (vs. 6L6) Stereo Tube Amp

TJIann

So are you planning on using the tube amp to always power your fronts? Or just when listening in 2 channel via some type of amp switch? Room size and maximum listen level is important when choosing a tube amplifier.

It is going to always power my fronts (CIIs).  I now use the McIntosh to power the Heresy rears, and a Outlaw Audio monoblock to power the center (Heresy). 

So are you planning on using the tube amp to always power your fronts? Or just when listening in 2 channel via some type of amp switch? Room size and maximum listen level is important when choosing a tube amplifier.

It is going to always power my fronts (CIIs).  I now use the McIntosh to power the Heresy rears, and a Outlaw Audio monoblock to power the center (Heresy).  Room size is about 14 x 20'.  My listening levels vary depending on mood, time of day, music type, etc.

My apologies if it appears I hijacked the thread, not my intension at all. My friend built a similar amp based on the EL-84 and I have heard both. I preferred the 6L6 amp based on it has tighter and more controlled bass response. The El-84 does sound sweet and is a favorite of some of his audiophile friends. I think that amp has an approx. 3 watt output while the 6L6 has 8 to 10 in class A. For Jazz trios, acoustic music etc., I could be very happy with the EL-84 amp.

Great feedback and love the pics of the amp.  :)

I just picked up an amp built by a friend of mine. It's basically an RH single ended design using 6L6 power tubes, 12AT7 driver and 5U4 rectifier. It can use EL-34, 5881 etc. power tubes as well. It's running 300 VDC to the plate. It can also use a GZ34 and similar rectifier tubes. It runs very cool and sounds great. It drives my big Cornscala/JBL/Econowave speakers very well. I'm using a modern Vincent pre-amp that has tube output they claim is class-A. I have only used 6L6 tubes currently. I may try others as they become available.

Very nice build!  Given the long filament supply string, and its routing, are you hearing any hum when you're near the speakers with no music playing?  Also, can you ask your friend why he chose to use what looks like a zener diode in the screen circuit of the output tubes?  We designers are always curious about why folks prefer certain implementations!  Regards-

Maynard 

I just picked up an amp built by a friend of mine. It's basically an RH single ended design using 6L6 power tubes, 12AT7 driver and 5U4 rectifier. It can use EL-34, 5881 etc. power tubes as well. It's running 300 VDC to the plate. It can also use a GZ34 and similar rectifier tubes. It runs very cool and sounds great. It drives my big Cornscala/JBL/Econowave speakers very well. I'm using a modern Vincent pre-amp that has tube output they claim is class-A. I have only used 6L6 tubes currently. I may try others as they become available.

Very nice build!  Given the long filament supply string, and its routing, are you hearing any hum when you're near the speakers with no music playing?  Also, can you ask your friend why he chose to use what looks like a zener diode in the screen circuit of the output tubes?  We designers are always curious about why folks prefer certain implementations!  Regards-

Maynard

Hey Maynard, I will send you a PM this evening.