Power Amp Hum Causes

TJIann

"Yea but $80 for two diodes. C'MON"

The diodes are less than $0.50 in small quantity, a fiberglass box and cover about $2, a duplex outlet about $1.

It all depends on what your time is worth.

DCblock.gif

Note how Bryston has the diodes inside the amp.

Thanks for the diagrams. Appreciate it.   Like I said, I'm planning on building a couple of these for my guitar amp/pedal rigs.  The HumX was a quick solution for my stereo amp that quickly solved my issue with the sound system.  It cost $50 on Amazon (not sure where the $80 figure above came from), so was worth it for me as it was nice an compact, and I would not have had the time to gather the parts and build one myself for a while with my work schedule. 

An obvious question is:  since this is a simple and inexpensive fix, why don't all present day amp builders just include it in their amps to prevent any issue with ground loops?proactively?

Edited by TJIann

"Yea but $80 for two diodes. C'MON"

The diodes are less than $0.50 in small quantity, a fiberglass box and cover about $2, a duplex outlet about $1.

It all depends on what your time is worth.

DCblock.gif

Note how Bryston has the diodes inside the amp.

Well your talking the talk so now build us one in a nice clean package for under $10 and then factor in some reasonable labor cost to build it...then some overhead cost of running a business and so on...and the retail price is not $80 it's easy to find them for $50 to $60

"Higher is always better. It is never a negative."

Vending machine business at work is way down since the first of the year price hikes.

A small reduction in volume can totally destroy the bottom line in any business.

Being a DIY type of guy I will be bringing a 2-liter bottle of soda to work rather than paying 4x as much from the vending machine.

Price discovery is always important in any product, if you charge too little for a product your sales may be as poor as if you charge too much for the same product.