What Klipsch Speakers handle THX well?

cdsang

So do you think that the RF-3II,RC-3II,and RS-3II system should have no problem(not brakeing a sweat)or am on the edge of just getting what I need? I am trying to get a good idea how good these speakers are. I want to make sure these speakers are way up there on the sound scale. I know there built quilty isn't top notch(sorry Klipsch) but I know they went more for sound quility. Well thank you for you answers from the past and future.

All Klipsch will handle THX just fine. However, if you really want the wide dynamics and low distortion then there is only 3 choices you have. You will find these in the Heritage line... Klipschorn, La Scala's or Belle's...IMO

My HT Web Site

http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

While Lucas Films proprietary experimental system "THX" helped bring some standardization to the film industry, few speaker manufacturers find it worthwhile to pay the high licensing fees for "THX Certification" and have phased out their THX lines. That includes Klipsch... except for their small ProMedia speakers. Lucas Films has sold an 80% interest in THX to a Singapore outfit.

While I agree that my Heritage multi-channel music system, anchored by Klipschorn corners and a Belle in the center with Cornwalls in the rear array does the best job on THX programming, my eight Legend HT with its six KLF-30's and dual SVS Ultra tower sure puts smiles on a lot of faces around here. And neither system is configured to THX standards... in fact, they are configured to higher standards than that IMHO.

The THX "standards" have been somewhat watered down to pick up more certification fees from lesser quality speakers. Originally, "THX certified" side/surround speakers were supposed to be dipoles (front and rear firing speakers that were out of phase) to create ambient sound from a frequency restricted ProLogic derived monaural surround channel.

The advent of 5.1 (and above) caused Klipsch to bring out their WDST technology to provide direct sound from the small side mounted woofer and ambient sound from two 90° horn tweeters... and the "THX Certified" dipoles became history years ago.

Simply put, any Klipsch system that can do justice to 5.1 (or above) DTS or Dolby Digital will handle the THX movie offerings with consummate ease. Even the scaled down Klipsch system in my motorhome does THX well. -HornED

PS: Adequate subwoofer(s) go a long way to HT satisfaction... particularly if they can belt out the Dolby Digital standard for professional theaters... 121.5 dB at 20Hz. That potential will assure you of being able to hear the low end of any Dolby Digital DVD movie.

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

As usual Horn Ed has summed up the answer very eloquently, but lest we forget, Klipsch did make a THX certified home theater set of speakers in the mid 90's.

I still am proud to say I use the Klipsch KT-LCR (left, center, right) speakers for my center channel and direct radiating rear surround duties. I pair them with a set of la-scalas as mains, and still use the venerable KT-SW15 (THX version of the SW-15 front firing subwoofer with 15" passive radiator.

These speakers are very adept at reproducing movie soundtracks as long as you cross them over to the subwoofer at 80 hz using a std. thx crossover level.

In form factor they are very similar to the KLF-C7 center channel speaker, but use 6.5 inch midbass drivers rather than the 8 " drivers in the KLF.

The dipole surrounds are now still enjoyed in my bedroom 2 channel system.

While more rare than many of the other Klipsch reference, legend or heritage line, please don't overlook them if you come across a set. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I know that my THX set of speakers will be used in my HT for the forseeable future. I have no great desire to upgrade them.

I think you will be very happy with the reference speakers as well.

Lyle.

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Denon POA-2800 Amplifier

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver (Pre Only with Denon Amp)