Output from DVD player

jtkinney

Does anyone know what the output from a DVD player would sound like if your receiver didn't process it? I am contemplating geting a DVD player for my truck to use on trips (keeps the kids quiet), but didn't want to splurge for a surround sound processor, just use the line inputs to the TV. I can't remember what outputs my DVD player has, and it's too much trouble to dig it or the manuals out.

I guess I could go crazy and put a 5.1 system in the truck, but then the dog and kids wouldn't fit with all of the speakers, and mama would have to drive so I could enjoy!

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1 Mainsc>s>

You can set the DVD player to just play 2-channel stereo. It'll just sound like as if you had a stereo VCR plugged directly into the TV (albeight with better quality sound and picture).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I found a great little portable dvd player at Target (believe it or not) for $99...It's about the size of a portable cd player. It operates on 12vdc. You need to purchase a car adapter separately (I got it at radio shack for about $3) It works great and does keep the kids occuppied for those longer trips!

This message has been edited by minn_male42 on 08-12-2002 at 07:39 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to check out Target. I hadn't thought of them.

Scott, I have an inverter that would work for power. I still worry about the affects of vibration on a DVD player made for the home.

Still trying to figure out where to put speakers. I came home last Friday with K-horns. It took 2 trips, even with a Suburban. I guess I need to think smaller.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scalas (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Living Room:

Yamaha RX-V590, 1978 Klipschorns Mainsc>s>