looking for vintage Yammy

Marathon Man

Hi folks,

Im looking for a vintage Yamaha reciever. Specifically the CR-800, 820, 840, 2040, 2020, 1020, or CR-1040. I am trying to find one in mint condition for a co-worker that is about to go nuts searching for one. Being the kind hearted audiophile that I am I decided to see if I can track one down for him. He has been looking on ebay, but playing the bid game is getting rather old, and he would like to get his hands on one of these babys as soon as possible. So if you have one of these dolls sitting in your attic or basement that you would like to sell let me know.

------------------

MM

This message has been edited by Marathon Man on 08-07-2002 at 07:00 PM

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound CR-800 that I might part with. I am the original owner since the 70s and it is as flawless as one of these beasts can be. I just have to decide if I want to sell the damn thing.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I hear ya on the Moondogs. I plan to go that route once I get my theater into its new home. Just no place to put em right now. 5 mono blocks will take up some room... anyway. Here is a email address that you can contact me re: the yamaha.. ewjwkbbb@yahoo.com. Take care

------------------

MM

Kelly,

After a statement like this I can't believe you wouldn't jump at the chance to get rid of it !! Couldn't help myself Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

What new units dont compare? AV receivers? Best Buy sale items? Short Circuit City boom boxes? Lord, what are you guys doing with all these things???? Yes, they are heavy. But so are steel rims for a 68 Galaxy 500!

Peace Craig

This amp has sentimental value as I bought it with my Dad and it's about the only thing I have not sold from that time. I dont listen to it anymore but I have a soft spot for the ole amp.

I still have some Nakamichi gear from then as well including the wedge 600II tape deck. It's a neat machine. The Yamaha is boxed with the receipt and manual as well as the brochure, a bit like that Scott amp....except, this was used a bunch way back when.

kh

I still have a Yamaha CR-1020 that I bought new in '77. I also used to have a Nakamichi wedge tape deck but I don't remember the model number. It was the one that would run on DC batteries as well as AC so you could use it anywhere. It was/is a great tape deck.

This message has been edited by edster00 on 08-08-2002 at 04:09 PM

I do understand sentimental feelings about older gear tho. I still have a Nikko Alpha 440 power amp with a SAE preamp that is boxed up in the original packaging in mint condition not a scratch on either piece. I will not sell it for any amount of money.. well almost any amount Smile.gif.

------------------

MM

Just to set the record straight:

The wedge-shaped cassette deck that used AC or batteries wasn't the Nakamichi... it was (somewhat ironically, given the subject of this thread) the Yamaha TC-800. Both the TC-800 and the Nak 610II were pretty nice decks, actually... the Nak exceptionally good sounding but cantankerous.

I also want to comment that for my dime the Yamaha CR receivers of the mid-late 1970's were the best of the massmarket receivers, with a warmer and more pleasant sound overall than the Kenwoods/Marantzes/Pioneers/Tecnnics of the era. I am amused by the prices the old Marantz 22xx receivers fetch on e*ay, given that I never thought they sounded all that great to begin with.

One can do way worse than a Yamaha CR-600/620 or 800/820.

------------------

all the best,

mrh

Mark,

You are correct Mark, my tape deck was a Yamaha TC-800 designed by Mario Bellini (whatever that's worth):

bell07.jpg

The Yamaha was eventually stolen and I replaced it with the Nak 600II which is also fairly wedge shaped and features the sporty rack handles:

nak-600II.jpg

(this photo doesn't show the angled front well)

This message has been edited by edster00 on 08-16-2002 at 05:35 PM