What's the best mp3 player program?

sesquim

Cuz I reAD that winamp isnt that good but to me it sounds really good.. and I have MAD Plugin installed..

Some people say windows media player 8.0 for windows XP is the best and even 7.0 but I like using winamp better and I think winamp sound better but I just want to know what others here use for listening to music on ther computer?

------------------

»®»ŦħĄňķŜ«®«

»®»Life Is Góód«®«

»®»Its All Gööd«®«

sesquim,

I use Winamp. It's small, has great performance and is not tied to the Microsoft gods. Though it's in beta, checkout the new Winamp 3 which is available for download if you haven't already. Lots of new functionality as compared to Winamp 2.

-shoe

------------------

Current System

----------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Sony DVP-300

Sony X33ES CD

Turtle Beach Audiotron

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

Klipsch RSW-12

Monster Cable M-Series

35" Mitsubishi TV

thanks shoe11 and flason!

nop, i haven't tried winamp3 yet.. only 2.80 and ya I tried music match jukebox the player is pretty good but my only problems is when ripping my cd's to mp3 files... like i put the setting to 192kbps and it is so slow!!!! is this normal?

Then I tried my widows medial player 8.0 in my laptop.. (windows xp home) and the player is good too... but the thing that I like most about it is that... I can burn my mp3's to a cd and I can rip my cd to mp3 files! blazing fast!!!! anyone tried this>? I have never used media player before cuz I always use winamp.. and I dont like media player.. but now I kinda like it...

Is it okay if I rip my cd's to mp3 files using windows media player? cuz b4 i heard stuff about "lame" or something like that... are they da same?

------------------

»®»ŦħĄňķŜ«®«

»®»Life Is Góód«®«

»®»Its All Gööd«®«

sesquim,

You can rip CD's to MP3's but you will need to acquire a plugin to do it. Windows Media Player as provided by MS only allows ripping to WMA format. I purchsed one a year or so ago to use from Intervideo. I use WM to rip my CD's to MP3's at 192 and for it's media library features, but then I use winamp3 exclusively for playback.

A big factor on your audio extraction time is what cd player and speed you are using. With the fastest drives dirt cheap these days, if you are still using a slow one (8x, 12x) you might consider a new one. It will help your speed a great deal. Also, of course, the bit rate that you rip out will affect your speed.

HTH

------------------

Current System

----------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Sony DVP-300

Sony X33ES CD

Turtle Beach Audiotron

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

Klipsch RSW-12

Monster Cable M-Series

35" Mitsubishi TV

shoe11,

How is the Audiotron? I read about it a lot, how do you find it? Is it easy to use, how quickly can you switch from playing song A to song B (different artist, album, directory?

Thanks,

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: KSW-12

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

WinAMP is very popular, I like it!!!

I also use the player that came with my Creative sound card.

For video, Quick Time is nice!!! Apple, well, ugh, not a millionth as bad as M$, though...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

vddobrev,

I highly recommend the Audiotron. I purchased it a few weeks ago from MicroCenter (area computer store). I've burned my whole CD collection using 192 and VBR so I've got just about 10,000 MP3s. If you understand basic windows networking, setup is quite easy. Integration into your stereo system consists of plugging in the ethernet cable from your router/hub, digital output to your receiver, and power cable. Powering the unit on it is just like another DHCP client on your network. It will acquire an IP address and then scan your network for available shares.

The place where people have problems is generally in the setup work you have to do in the OS. I'm running XP Pro with a hardware and software firewall. You have to know how to setup a share, make sure your router can assign the thing an IP address lease when it requests it, get through the firewalls, have permissions to the shares, etc. Depending on what OS you use will to a large extent determine the complexity of your setup. Once it finds the audio shares you set up, it will load the header info into it's internal memory. From there turn on the stereo and it works basically like any other CD jukebox.

Changing from track to track is almost instantly. As a point of reference, I bought this so that I could have a constant variety of music play without having to change CD's as in a single player or wait for the CD changer to swap discs. The Audiotron changes songs so fast it's as if all the songs in your library were on one single disc. I'm very impressed with it's speed. It has advanced features to play by Title, Artist, Album, Genre, and custom play lists. It also acts as a receiver for internet radio. Personally I haven't really used those much as the majority of the time I put it in MP3 random mode and let it play.

The sound quality is very good. Of course this is going to be directly related to the quality of the MP3's you have to a large extent. I've played numerous songs using both the MP3 and CD source and it's usually very hard to tell the difference. I was willing when I bought it to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for the amazing conveinence and utility that this thing provides. I mean I have my whole library playing through a single unit which is slimmer in size than my DVD player. Had I gone the CD changer route I would have needed at least 2 of them and would then have to deal with their storage size requirements and the latency when changing discs. Oh yeah and the changers would have cost me a few hundred more.

You should be able to find the Audiotron at most computer/electronics stores. Many places have it online. I know you can order it from CompUSA. The price is $299 give or take a few bucks depending on where you buy it.

-shoe

------------------

Current System

----------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Sony DVP-300

Sony X33ES CD

Turtle Beach Audiotron

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

Klipsch RSW-12

Monster Cable M-Series

35" Mitsubishi TV

This message has been edited by shoe11 on 08-09-2002 at 08:00 PM

the best for just playing mp3's, winamp with the frankhiemer (or however you spell it) codec in place of the generic one.

for massive compilations of mp3's in play lists and whathave you, MediaJukebox

for a fun player, check out Quinetessential.

MusicMatch is also good, but nothing really stands out about it.

RealONE and Windows media players are not great, not even 'good' in my book.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Hey Justin, tell me more (or hook me up with) that other codec. What does it do?

Thanks!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

shoe11,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I am also reading wonderful things about it on the net. One thing I would like to know is how do you find songs with the Audiotron. Let's say you are looking for song "Who's gonna ride your wild horses" -- do you scrol through directories to find it, or do you type some text to find it?

Thanks,

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: KSW-12

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

quote:

Originally posted by vddobrev:

shoe11,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I am also reading wonderful things about it on the net. One thing I would like to know is how do you find songs with the Audiotron. Let's say you are looking for song "Who's gonna ride your wild horses" -- do you scrol through directories to find it, or do you type some text to find it?

Thanks,

Vladi

It comes with AudioStation which is a jukebox program that lets you create and organize a PC music library for use with AudioTron. Rip music from CD into WMA, MP3 and WAV formats, tag songs, create custom playlists to play on AudioTron, burn custom CDs and more. It does have a search utility and it can organize by artist and i believe genre. the layout is simliar to RealJukebox

as_sscallouts.gif

quote:

AudioStation makes it easy to create and manage your PC digital music library

AudioStation plays audio CDs, digital music files stored on your PC hard drive and streaming audio from the Internet (also referred to as "Internet Radio" or "Internet Broadcasts"). These three types of music are accessed by choosing from three main modes of operation, which are activated by the tabs on the left of the main screen view.

Features

Plays CD audio, MP3, WMA, video and MIDI file formats.

Plays digital audio stored on networked PCs.

Burn custom CDs of your favorite tracks in MP3, Windows Media or WAV formats.

Autogain Level Control corrects changes in song volume levels.

Gapless Playback eliminates pauses between tracks.

Automatically import album and title information from the Internet.

Optional RF remote control lets you control functions from other rooms in your home.

Print CD labels with song titles and jewel case covers with custom artwork.

Benefits

Convert your CD library to digital format by storing thousands of songs on your PC's hard drive-so you can enjoy your favorite songs without the frustration of searching through a pile of CD's to find them.

Tailor your music collection to suit your mood by playing songs by your favorite artist, in a particular genre, or your own custom compilations.

Create a PC digital music collection by converting CDs into MP3, Windows Media or WAV formats.

Easily find songs by title, artist, genre, etc. and create custom playlists.

Create a personalized selection of your favorite Internet Radio stations.

Edit WAV and MIDI song files

Diagnose audio and MIDI problems

Newegg.com has the AudioTron for $267

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>

Kenratboy

What you need to do to most definately improve winamp mp3's is change the current codec from the generic to the Fraunhofer. That is the best one out there. It can be done for free and legally. If only I remembered how I did it...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>

Hey all...

Not sure why I felt I needed to jump in here.

This will be my first post.

Winamp has slowly become more and more bloated as the betas roll on.(including some accusations of spy\adware)

If you can find an older version of Winamp I suggest that.

I prefer "Coolplayer". free and MAD plug-in.

No install required! No registry mussing.

http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/

As for encoding and decoding I prefer the LAME codec.

Best out there....also free.

http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/

Lame is a Dos type exe.

I use RazorLAME as the frontend.

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php

encodes decodes converts ...all of it.

As for ripping to WAV or MP3 there are 2 proggies that I use exclusivly...

CDEX...simple,accurate.

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

EAC...the best...not as easy to use.This is what I use the most.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

The best is, all are free!

I admit these arent all rolled into a big happy package.Most figure it out with no trouble.

Good luck,

Alex Debris

I use the same stuff that Alex uses.

CDEX with the Lame Codec using --alt-preset extreme

Winamp3 is officially released now. It's bloated relative to it's predecessor, but I like the added features.

-shoe

------------------

Current System

----------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Sony DVP-300

Sony X33ES CD

Turtle Beach Audiotron

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

Klipsch RSW-12