subwoofer drivers- car vs. home

lne937s

I was wondering about something (this may be a stupid question)-

Is there a good reason I cannot use a car audio subwoofer to build a home subwoofer?- Does the fact that I have a small room make a difference?

I was looking at the frequency resopnse of Illusion Audio's 12" inverted motor carbon fiber subwoofer. These are supposedly one of the highest quality sounding car subwoofers and they play into the teens. They have high efficiency, have lightweight cones, and look different than just about anything.

I have heard a couple answers before, but none really answer the question.

Thanks,

Larry

This message has been edited by lne937s on 08-08-2002 at 09:18 PM

Those who think quality car audio woofers cant be put to good use in a home are smoking weed.And whole fields of it.

You can take ANY car subwoofer(woofer)and make it work well in a home.The major factor to consider is in a car its easy to get huge SPL down very low,the bass boost is huge below 50Hz.

SO subwoofers that have big output even at 10Hz in a car will perform much less well(SPL,low freq.extension) in a home.

Also the dimitutive cabinet that works well in a car(considering the big low frequency boost)will need to be larger(to preven EQ abuse,in turn limiting ultimate output).

Take a SVS Ultra,would probably pump over 125dB in a car below 16Hz with the utmost ease.The same sub will generate around 105-110 at the same freq. driven by the same amp in a larger room.

The car volume is simply tiny and its very easy to achieve eardrum tearing and lethal SPL.Some modified car systems(not street cars anymore as mods in the cabin and structure are too great)can reach over 170dB(this is borders lunatic woffer blaster levels).

A few Kicker,Cerwin Vega mega car subs can belt such a foremidable SPL if you sat in the car you would lose not only hearing but end brain damaged and have internal wounds(no not like the fake wrestling wounds LOL).And this is not a joke,if anybody doubts me I dare you to sit in the loudest Drag SPL Racing monsters and try to stay alive and breathe.Just dont forget to close the doors and seal yourself in.Wink.gif

If you value life and hearing and are not insane you will not attempt this foolish act.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear, you are such a postwhore!!! Smile.gif

I agree with EAR. Also, a car woofer has a lot of money inveted in ads, car climate durability, and excessive cosmetics, this means you pay a lot of $$$ for no preformance.

A good Parts Express woofer will kick a comp-priced car woofers a$$.

Also, a car woofer is ment for a smaller box, and some corners are cut.

Stick with home/pro gear for the home.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Thanks

I was thinking there really wasn't a difference, but I wanted to be sure. I have been looking @ Focal, MB Quart, and Peerless, but my top prospect now is Illusion Audio- I found them at www.solen.ca

Look at these woofers- I am thinking about using the 12

http://www.illusionaudio.com/illusion/Technologyx.html

They look different, play low, have lightweight cones, and have high sensitivity. Vance Dickanson, who makes sub designs for Parts Express, has some positive comments quoted on the Illusion websight. I know AR used some of the smaller models from Illusion in their high end wall mounted speakers. Illusion also makes horns for car audio.

The drivers are expensive, but the cost savings of DIY should offset this, not to mention conversation piece value. I am going to plug the parameters into my box design program this weekend.

Larry

There are a lot of IMPORTANT differences. A subwoofer driver designed for a car usually have higher Fs (resonant frequency for the driver itself, before putting it in to a box). Also their motor and electric Q's are suitable for small boxes. Its only because the cabin gain that such drivers can produce deep bass in a car.

A subwoofer driver designed for home use will have higher Qms and Qes and a much lower Fs, this features alone will allow the subwoofer to sound much better in a home environment.

This message has been edited by Manuel on 08-09-2002 at 02:42 PM